Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 wiring for cdl?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 wiring for cdl?

Hey folks, I'm buttoning up the install of a cdl on my "new to me" 02 Disco. Everything is going fine. I've got all the wires that were on top of the t-case hooked back up.
However, there is a switch rearward of the diff lock itself with two male terminals. Are its wires here somewhere? Tucked away or plugged into a dummy plug somewhere?
Thanks,
Ian

Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 PM
4wd Low

I came in from my shop and looked on the Rave. I learned that the switch I was asking about is for the diff lock lamp on the dash. Ok,now that I know what it's for, how do I get it wired up? I've looked all around the tranny tunnel and haven't found a loose plug.
Thanks,
Ian

Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 PM
4wd Low

I've been doing some searching and read a couple times that some 02-03's didn't have the wires for the CDL switch. I also read about splicing into a harness somewhere. Any truth to that? Guidance will be appreciated.
Just some background, I'm using all D1 shifter parts.
I also plan on removing the Hi/Lo solenoid while I still have the center console apart. Prudent? Thoughts
Thanks,
Ian

Old 05-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Which transfer case did you use for the CDL install?

Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I ll have to look but I think the lock light wires are on the drivers side for some reason.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 PM
4wd Low

I'm not sure exactly where my donor case came from. I was told it was from a D2. I'm new to these and am not familiar enough with them to give an accurate ID.
I'm kind of waiting to get this sorted out before I close everything up. I only want to do this once.
Driver's side? Curious to hear what you find.
Thanks all
Ian

Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled my hi lo lock out. I know not to shift on the fly. Dont need help from LR or safety board. I would hate to have to drive 100 miles home in Low Range. If its on the xfer case especially.It is (as you know) hard to get to.
You make your own choice

Old 05-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

See pages 111 and 113 of 152 in the RAVE circuits guide for the 2003 up.

Note the BU wire (black with blue). It leaves fuse 25 under the dash on one color (green with yellow), goes to another thru a series resistor module (value unknown), then "T" taps to the switch and to the BU wire going to the bulb on the dash cluster module. The wiring layout would indicate to me that the switch normally grounds the wire, pulling the voltage low to turn off the bulb, while that resistor keeps you from blowing the fuse. If the dash "bulb" is actually an LED, would expect that resistor to be in the 2200 - 4700 ohm range.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

In the future, never buy a used part for your Disco when you don't know the mileage on it as well as the year. There are some t/cases that should not be installed on a D2 because of the many changes that have been done on them over the years.
Does your replacement t/case look exactly like the one in this picture? Specifically does it have the plate with the cylinder that is the lock solenoid, held down with 4 bolts or not.
Also, has your front drive shaft been rebuilt or replaced so it now has 1 grease fitting on each of the 3 front u-joints?

Attached Thumbnails 02 wiring for cdl?-t-case.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did mine I had to splice into the harness under the center console and run the wires down to the switch on the t-case.

Quick Reply: 02 wiring for cdl?