Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 D2 inline thermostat mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 D2 inline thermostat mod

So I'm back in NJ visiting family and had some work done at 5 corners Auto repair in long branch.

I had pretty much all fluids replaced, and things checked, and the inline thermostat mod. It immediately dropped the temp to like 183F or so driving, and about 197 parked. New fan clutch too. I was going to put the soft spring 180F thermostat, but was talked into the mod, and am happy about that. I feel stupid that I didn't get a new radiator at the same time, but soon enough, that will get done too, cap etc. looks like a new a/c cond. fan too... but for now i'm psyched about the big temp drop.

Name:  07a358e7.jpg
Views: 3992
Size:  111.0 KB

Name:  8c0b90db.jpg
Views: 2731
Size:  97.2 KB

Old 07-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

question: How are you bleeding the system? I see no bleeder.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

That system, based on where you live will cause you a lot of grief during the winter cause it will not allow your engine to warm up enough to allow the engine to go to closed loop causing your engine to run full rich all or most of the time.
A much easier way, for people who want to cool off their engines is to just install a soft spring t/stat from Lucky 8 which will drop your temp by 12 to 15 degrees while allowing your engine flow to remain as it was designed.
Also when doing this, replace the coolant cap, cause they do wear out and switch to green coolant.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Mudding

I'm thinking I won't need to bleed for a long while, but if needed, I can lift the thermostat housing while the system is pressurized and unscrew the housing a bit until it bleeds. I have an ultragauge to keep close eye on the temp

Disco mike, yeah that was a concern, but I'm gonna be spending a lot of time roaming the desert southwest soon, and i got sold on the mod. I have a soft spring therostat like you said, but went another direction. Plus, I'm free to roam to warmer climate in the winter

do you see any reason I can't put a 190F thermostat for the winter or a 190F full time? that should keep it just under 200F.

what temp is optimal all year long?

If it's too cold, it runs rich, which loses fuel economy... but will that also gum or foul u the engine faster? or just use more fuel?

thanks for your responses!

Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The 195 stat will be the start open temp, and then fully open add another 15 -20 to that. I'd leave the 180 (which I run in a D1, 180-183 at freeway speed in the 90's F). And my ECU goes closed loop in like under 10 seconds, even in winter, but I seldom see below 30F. Think the CAT temp is also a main part of that equation. If you have to swap thermostats in winter, it will be just like grandpa did. Cheaper to swap stats than swap head gaskets....

I would point out that DM owns a D2, and lives in a much colder and more elevated area than I do, so your results may vary.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Hay
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big fan of the inline thermo stat mod. I did the mod about a year ago. I live in Canada. It can get to -30 deg C in the winter. The system runs a degree or two lower in the winter. It warms up quickly and goes into closed loop properly. It doesnt run rich. Problem with running to are exagerated. If you thinks things are too cool you can change out for higher temp chevy thermostats.

I recommend the vent with sight glass so you can easily bleed things and monitor the system of leaks. The thermostat needs a 1/8 inch hole. I can back Disco Mike up on the expansion cap replacement. Age and Dexcool eventuall destroy the cap. My old cap looked OK but it wasnt working right. I replaced it and I had no more air leaks.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RatanTata
As the chairman of land rover, I applaud your ability to innovate and attempt to improve our designs. The only issue that I have with all of the nonsense, is that these vehicles are designed for upper class white people. It causes me great despair to see the riff raff that operate and "modify" my vehicles. The issues that are discussed on this forum would all be avoided if the scheduled repair and maintainence were performed at a PROFESSIONAL facility.

Cheerio,

Ratan
I actually laughed out loud. Really. Points for creativity.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey Scott, I'm glad to see your happy with the work! Do you see any negative difference in fuel economy? Also, the 180 will stay the same temp in the winter, and it will get to operating temp in the same length of time. Also, the system requires no periodic bleeding, the return through the 5/16" hose from the top of the radiator to the top of the bottle does that for you. The only time you would need to bleed is with a complete flush/fill. I pull 25" of vacuum on the cooling system to extract all air and check for leaks before filling the system, this eliminates the need for bleeding.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Mudding

Hey Chris, yeah I remember you said you hit it with a vacuum to get any air out of the system... nice method. I forgot to really check the mileage on the way back to chicago but I'm pretty sure it was about the same... just about 16 mpg. I wish I had you put a new radiator at the same time everything was apart. I'm in chicago and headed out west in a week, so I'll have my mechanic here swap it out with a radiator from radiatorbarn.com .... and also headed thru salt lake city, try to drop in to great basin rovers and get the new slightly unbalanced propshaft warranted... can't wait

also had code p0430 for the catalytic converter, but I'll wait a bit on that one