Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 disco engine tapping

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ok here is my update and its not looking good i just finished my head gasket changeout yesterday and i did "everything by the book" i got the heads planed and checked and got new gaskets and checked everything that i could. got it up and running yesterday and checked my oil after 5 miles of baby driving it my oil level went up half a qt and drove it a little more yesterday just praying that maybe it was just extra crap that was in side still and now my oil level is up about 1.5 qt so the issue is back. the only other thing that i can think of is that it has a crack in the block. is there anything else you guys can think of. i think the time has come that i need to replace my short block i already have a slipping sleeve, where is a good place to get one or what would you recommend. is it worth trying and antifreeze stop leak?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The stopz leakz contains Sodium silicate or water glass. It is the same compound that the cash for clunkers program a while back had dealers pour into the oil of used car engines and run until siezed. So stopz leakz that goes into oil is not good for engine. You will notice warnings on the product not to add to engine oil.

Some may comment on additional torque, in case you missed one or more in the process.

Now that you are getting good at it, buying a used engine from the boneyard might be a path, and go ahead and do the HG on it. You could pressure test the used block before major parts applied, to check for leaks. You could also pin the liners on the project block.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Drifting

with the boneyard block i would not know if it would have the same issue with a slipped sleeve or even the crack after i buy it, i know they are pricey but i would almost rather go with a re-manufactured block to save on headache

Old 02-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The sleeves you would pin, the pressure test of the block would reveal any leak. You take it back (most yards have a refund policy). An engine near me runs $199, you pull, or pay a partz vulturz $100 to pull it. But it takes work and time, probably do the bearings, oil pump, timing chain also. Meanwhile you still have a Rover you can't drive. And maybe some payments to go with it ( I always hate making payments on a pasture ornament ).

Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd highly recommend Great Plains Rovers. Contact Mike Billingsley <mike@okeuropean.com> for a short or long block quote with top hat liners.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts
Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Drifting

hey guys here is an update for you. so before i bought a new short block or engine rebuilt i tried something that you guys prolly do not like. i used bars liquid copper in my coolant to see if that would plug the leak. so i added it and within 2 days my coolant was not going down anymore the first day it went down 2 cups the next time i drove it which was 2 days lated the next day i checked and it wend down .5 cup. every time i drove it after that it has not gone down iv drove it for 400miles thus far and no leak!!! so ill see how long that lasts. but now i have other issues and codes. a while ago i had a mass air sensor code that was stored, and a 02 code for passenger side rear sensor so i reset them and they have not come back on and i am not so worried about them if they do, they do not seem like bad issues and usually can be corrected easily and that was 2 weeks ago, but while i was on a trip my light came on about 3 days ago i just checked it and it is p0327 knock sensor i did a little bit of reading and it does not look good i have 78k on my 03 and i have only used premo fuel 92/93 depending of the gas station and the last guy used the same premo fuel and suggestions, much appreciated

Old 07-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Drifting

and as an update on the disco it has been running very smooth and the engine tap is still there however. nothing else out of the ordinary as far as i can tell