Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Disco II add/upgrade Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default '03 Disco II add/upgrade Oil Cooler

Have my truck in a shop in the Atlanta area having Cannibal V8 put in it. Due to some BS I hope gets straightened out, my 40+ years of getting screwed over before is causing my "Spiddy Senses" to go nutz.

Now the shop is recommending me to put in a oil cooler. He states:

"The '03 and '04 Discovery's did not get an oil cooler installed because back then the Government raised the emission standards so the only way for Land Rover to stay within the standards was to get rid of the oil cooler witch raises the engine temp higher to burn more crap out of the exhaust."

They are asking to put a oil cooler in to make the truck run much cooler to add to the engine longitivtiy. They are asking $780 for the used oil cooler, installed.

Since I am losing some trust in this shop, I figured I would come here and ask some opinions.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

$780 is super pricey. I would sell the cooler from a 99'-02' and the lines for a lot less, of course there is the labor.

But they are right, it will make your motor run cooler.

If you are at all mechanical get the car back, then do the install yourself.

I am about to(in the next month) add one myself.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm pretty handy. Done tons of rebuilds and mods on dirt bikes.

What's all involved in the process of putting one on myself?

Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Baja

I have not dug in yet, so I am guessing.

Oil cooler lines run from the front cover. I believe the 03/04 has block off bolts. Remove them and add cooler. The 03/04 trans cooler is the biggest of the coolers. I am going to attempt to add an 03/04 trans cooler as my oil cooler.

I'll check the front cover on my 04 tomorrow.

If I am wrong about the front cover, there are plenty if companies that make a sandwich fitting at the oil filter for an oil cooler.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by abran

Oil cooler lines run from the front cover. I believe the 03/04 has block off bolts. Remove them and add cooler. The 03/04 trans cooler is the biggest of the coolers. I am going to attempt to add an 03/04 trans cooler as my oil cooler.

If I am wrong about the front cover, there are plenty if companies that make a sandwich fitting at the oil filter for an oil cooler.
Yep the 03/04 has plugs and if you have a set of lines from an earlier YM they will already be bent to fit from the front cover to the cooler and go right in with much less expense than having lines made up.... and cleaner than using fittings and clamps.
That's if you are adding a genuine LR oil cooler.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 09-26-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Baja

I have the lines, now I just need to dig in.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

down and dirty easiest way to add a oil cooler and pressure gauge to your truck use one of these.
M20 Aluminum Oil Filter Cooler Sandwich Adapter Blue 2pc 48" s s Braided Hoses | eBay

do a search on ebay for oil cooler adaptors here is the whole list you need to look for the correct size I think is 13/16x3/4.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

drowssap,

the only thing wrong with those is you can't see it unless you are under the truck. Those look sick!!!!

I'm guessing you still have to have a cooler to hook the sandwich up to, correct? What cooler would I source? Do I just find a good used cooler off a '02 DII?

Would the sandwich tend to leak more than hooking up a cooler under the front cover and will it be just as effective?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

[
I didnt say the best, l said the quickest and easest. That being said i have one one a vehichle more than 10years.
QUOTE=cybercop;483244]drowssap,

the only thing wrong with those is you can't see it unless you are under the truck. Those look sick!!!!

I'm guessing you still have to have a cooler to hook the sandwich up to, correct? What cooler would I source? Do I just find a good used cooler off a '02 DII?

Would the sandwich tend to leak more than hooking up a cooler under the front cover and will it be just as effective?[/QUOTE]

Old 10-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by abran

Did you ever get your cooler installed? It really is straight forward; take off the shroud and loosen the radiator, tip it back and shimmy in the cooler (it slides into the existing slot in the front radiator spacer on the pass. side, then secure on the other side with a shroud screw), remove the two plugs in the timing cover and route the lines and connect. Be sure to get the hard line clamps, etc. off of a donor Disco so nothing rattles. Make sure you add extra oil after initial start up to compensate for the cooler capacity.

Last edited by sdhow; 10-23-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: '03 Disco II add/upgrade Oil Cooler