Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Disco Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Disco Problem.

I have a 2003 discovery and it was sitting for a while. the battery died so i got it charged. before it died it was sitting because the pulley in the center of the motor connected to the radiator fan (which i believe is the water pump) not too sure, was giving us issues. for some reason the fan tilted and was touching one of the radiator hoses when the car cranked over. causing a small cut in the hose. i also noticed that the serpintine belt was off track a little so i corrected that. but once i corrected it.. the car made a loud sound and the fan stopped moving. i then noticed the belt fell off completely... then i realized that that specific pully i mentioned earlier was making alot of noise and had some play in it when i spun it by hand. obviously that part needs to be replaced. can anyone help me on what exactly needs to be done? ive worked on multiple cars but this is my first british car project. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

i will submitt pictures later.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:42 PM
6th Gear

bump.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, the fan clutch is mounted to the water pump. If pump and pulley are wobbly, need a new pump. Swap out fan clutch at same time. Leave the belt on. Loan a wrech from the parts store, and it fits to the water pump to clutch bolt. Stand in front of truck. Use a wrench and increase tension rather than loosen belt tensioner. Take hammer and slap the living daylights out of the fan clutch wrench, toward the passenger side of the truck (in North America). A sharp pop breakes the nut loose and youy can get clutch off, then deal with water pump. Keep bolts in order. You'll want to also check every other pulley or item that rotates for roughness.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-25-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Well, the fan clutch is mounted to the water pump. If pump and pulley are wobbly, need a new pump. Swap out fan clutch at same time. Leave the belt on. Loan a wrech from the parts store, and it fits to the water pump to clutch bolt. Stand in front of truck. Use a wrench and increase tension rather than loosen belt tensioner. Take hammer and slap the living daylights out of the fan clutch wrench, toward the passenger side of the truck (in North America). A sharp pop breakes the nut loose and youy can get clutch off, then deal with water pump. Keep bolts in order. You'll want to also check every other pulley or item that rotates for roughness.

Savannah is there a possibility that te fan clutch could be damaged and not the water pump? because the car has never over heated. but the clutch seemed damaged from the get go? Thanks for the input

Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Depends on how long this has been going on and how many miles on the engine, those viscus clutches don't last forever.
Who is going to be doing the water pump replacement? Might want5 to consider ordering a new replacement from British Parts of Utah, they have the Airtex water pump with the brass impellor that comes with a 2 year warranty.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Grab the fan and try to tilt it back.
See what is loose.
Probably the water pump.

Replace it.
Still loose?
Replace fan clutch too.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jfall
Grab the fan and try to tilt it back.
See what is loose.
Probably the water pump.

Replace it.
Still loose?
Replace fan clutch too.

sounds like a plan.. lol im going to try to take some pictures tomorrow morning to see if that would help diagnose the problem easier.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Please note - fan clutch and water pump are "married" and spin around the same dance floor at almost engine rpm. So for 50,000 miles, at 2000 rpm, that would be like 120 million rotations. Change one, the other one will notice. They have aged together, warts and all. Developed small imbalances. Frequently they jump off the cliff together.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM
6th Gear

Let me know if the picture helps.

Attached Thumbnails 03 Disco Problem.-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes, you need fan clutch and water pump, belt & hoses

Quick Reply: 03 Disco Problem.