Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Discovery No Spark No Gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:33 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Discovery No Spark No Gas

Background:

I am working on my super great girl friend's US '03 Discovery II and I owe her big time. Last week it died while driving and would not start back up. It would turn over but not start. She let it sit for 5-10 minutes and BOOM it cranked right up and down the road she went. No more problems for a few days then Saturday same thing again. She got it started after allot of cranking and made it to my place. That was the last time it ran. I can't find a service manual locally so I am depending on the Internet until I can get one Tuesday.

Troubleshooting:

[ul][*]I bought an Innova 3030 OBDII scanner. The first time I ran the codes there were NO stored codes.[*]Checked fuses and relays. Noted no "clicking" coming fuel relay(R1?) when the key is turned. Replaced blown F5.[*]Noted there is no "whirring" coming from the fuel pump when the key is turned. Exposed fuel pump & confirmed it is NOT running when the key is turned.[*]Pull plug wire and used an old plug to check for spark. I cannot see a spark. Same test w/ screwdriver arcing to the alt. bracket is NO spark aswell.[*]A little starting fluid and it tries to start. This confuses the hell out of me since there doesn't seem to be any spark.[/ul][ul][*]When it tried to start the Check Engine light flashed so I checked the codes again I recieved the following 2:
[/ul][blockquote]P0463
P1230
Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Voltage
Fuel Pump Low Speed Malfunction (VLCM) or Fuel Pump Relay
I swapped the Relays R1 & R3 and saw no change. I am assuming R1 is the fuel pump relay.

[hr]
AT this pont I am leaning toward the fuel pump. I have read all sorts of similar stories that end in a bad crank case sensor but the lack of a crank case sensor code drops me back @ fuel pump. Any and all thoughta are appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

JM

[/blockquote]

Old 09-01-2008, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: '03 Discovery No Spark No Gas

Just noticed the gf in question edited the post while I wasn't looking. "and I owe her big time" ROFL. @least the broken truck hasn't affected her sense of humor.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Fuel pump will only run for about 5 seconds if the engine doesn't start then it shuts down. If it primes itself when the key is first turned on don't replace the pump.
No spark, most likely a failed crank sensor, very typical, and it won't hardily ever show a fault code.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:16 PM
3rd Gear

The fuel pump does not seem to be priming. It doesn't make a sound when you turn the key.

Does a failed crank sensor cut the power to the fuel system?

Old 09-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The crank sensor is a pretty cheap part and has a high failure rate. It is ina bad spot and gets lots of oil and road grime on it.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR7354G.cfm
By cheap I mean cheaper than a fuel pump.
It controls the spark. That is where I would start. You might beable to get one at AutoZone.

And you do owe youir girlfriend big time, she has honored you with the privilage of working on her Disco.