Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Discovery Strong A/C Whining at night

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I guess its trial and error... taking off the pulley and replacing it with a known good one did not work.. when plugged back in. the growl whine in compressor when clutch engages is heard again, not to mention never noticed it turn off but in car was nice and cold.... I just got my new set of gauges and will put em on and see whats up if anything in system... but from what it seems, the compressor bearings... I have the replacement compressor sitting on the sidelines.... if I go have a shop recover and put my system on a vacuum , can I drive it home and replace compressor then take it back and let them filler back up ? in other words, how does someone do this at home without a recovery tank and about $4000 of equipment? lol

Old 11-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Winching

I have an update on my a/c.... I bought a new drier and had system purged of freon and oil at local shop, bought some new PAG oil and about to install compressor, and a generic A/C o'ring kit from auto zone...couple of things...

1. do I put some of the 4-5 oz PAG oil into dryer? I understand system needs about 4-5 oz in system ? I'm assuming maybe an oz or so might be hanging around in system maybe in drier? when they removed my freon and oil it recovered only about 1.5 oz oil! but freon was ok... they said could be a couple oz floating around in there maybe in drier...hmmm maybe all I needed is more oil!

2. is this an important plug? ( see pic link here) Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
maybe this is why I get the P01535 code along with causing premature failure of A/C bearings

Last edited by dparham; 11-12-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Is that the refrigerant line on the drier? That makes it important. You want to use a new drier, and not leave it out of the sealed bag it came in for more than a few minutes, it will soak up the local humidity. Put in the level of oil the shop tells you to use, you'll be swapping drier anyway.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Winching

ok I got my drier today.... but DANG if when driving around without the A/C connected and turned off the dang thing melted and spewed how stinky plastic everywhere! I thought the worst since now that Ive disconnected the SAI the disco was running AWSOME! well right before I got home I saw smoke and stink ( burning plastic) smell coming from truck! I pulled it quickly and popped hood and sure as everything smoke from compressor that was turned off and not engaged well until melted... anyway.. it is off my truck now and about to instal the new compressor and drier.... but hmm... did I notice once removing the compressor a little wetness on block ( not oil but water) behind water pump? not much but would account for the slight wif every once and awhile of coolant.... hmmmm I don't really notice a water leak but maybe a tiny bit over month or so...

Forgot to mention, I drove within 30 ft of the land rover dealership! sheesh

Last edited by dparham; 11-14-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Time 4 A water pump - you certainly got within WIFI range - they uploaded some new codes

Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Winching

hehe yup! I think I heard it!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Winching

Well I just ordered the backordered Ultragauge so I can see realtime whats going on.. I have a little action OBDII but just not enough info for a "newly acquired 03 DII lol I just replaced that pesky A/C compressor and had my local shop put on vac and refreonated it... lol
So now she'z a blown COLD! but realized my tensioning pulley is a little squeaky now... hahaha cheap fix, along with cheap water pump replacement and coolant replacement and thermostat replacement and .. and 2 door actuators replacement and um... brake bleeding and switched to rotella and new serp belt and new ummm...er..... oh yea window motor and regulator bushings! then ill be set to go! oh and spark plugs and 8mm wires, and um... then O2 sensors maybe and ... and ummm err.....pray I don't have the BAD oil pump motor since I have the golden VIN range! hehe so far 84k and still hasn't blown up for the month Ive owned it! LOVE IT! lol

I hate to admit it but.. even if the thing blew up , I could just go sit in it and listen to radio until I found time to fix it! lol

Last edited by dparham; 11-16-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

And get that oldies station that plays Martha Reeves and the Vandellas - Heatwave

since you are about 82 - 84 F.