Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03' Dsicovery II SE7 - Worth Buying?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 09:34 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03' Dsicovery II SE7 - Worth Buying?

Wanted to get some opinions on my current situation.

I am in the market for particularly a 2003 / 2004 Land RoverDiscovery.
I am interested in a couple around my city and I amparticularly looking at a 2003 Land Rover Disco. II SE7 in Vienna Green. It has191,000 Miles on it, needs a new brake job and needs a new battery. There is alsointerior and electrical problems such as the headliner coming apart in thefront, two doors not locking, cd player doesn’t work and that’s about itinterior wise. Exterior wise this thing shines and looks new, but does have twominor dings on the rear passenger door. They’re asking $2,500.

They are the original owner and always had it serviced fromwhat I am told and runs great otherwise. They just recently bought a new carand this was their daily driver. They had an oil pressure problem the same yearthey got it i 2003 at 38,000 and had the engine and transmission replaced. And justrecently this year had the Front Axle u-Joint Yoke replaced. So like I said, fromwhat I am told it was always serviced properly.

So my question is, is it worth it for $2,500? And maybe they're willing to negotiate just a little lower (not sure). I don’t caremuch for the interior and exterior issues, I am more concerned about it’s mechanicalside, it’s reliability based on it’s mileage... and I only plan to use it fortwo years max really until I get a newer vehicle just to commute to work andpossibly travel within the state (rarely).

Old 05-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Worth buying, maybe. For your situation as you describe it, probably not.

Regardless of price, if you simply want something for two years until you find a newer vehicle, don't buy a Discovery.

I love mine and will drive it till it dies, then likely buy a motor at that point. But really you have to want one of these trucks for it to make sense as a daily driver. If you are looking only for transportation, spend $800-$1000 on a reliable Camry and keep the difference for your newer ride.

The following users liked this post:
Suedehead (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 10:48 AM
4wd Low

Appreciate your response. And don't get me wrong, I want to have one, always did. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was going to get rid of it in two years time, I mean that in a way where I will be getting a second vehicle by two years, but will def. keep the LR if all is well as a second vehicle eventually.. but yeah I can easily go buy a $800-$1000 vehicle easy, but that's really defeating the purpose of wanting a Discovery. I guess the question is, is the price worth it based on what I explained (the mileage)... and I am up for putting work into it when necessary, you got to, but there are some 04's out there ranging from $3500-$5000, not in the best shape but have lower mileage, so I'm just asking myself is it worth it..

Old 05-02-2017, 01:22 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

You should find a local independent LR shop and get a pre-purchase inspection. That shop will detail everything you will need to spend money on and how much it will realistically cost to get it up to spec.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like it has just over 150,000 on the replacement engine, which is about 30,000 mile over the outside point they tend to fail.

With it needing a battery, have you seen it running? Service Engine Light? Color of coolant? Coolant level while cold? While hot?

Focus on the cooling system.

For what it's worth, I'd probably choose a high mileage '03-04' over one that has mileage below 130,000 miles. Shows that it made it past the typical failure point.

Last edited by Southern; 05-02-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:33 PM
4wd Low

I will consider that Dave, need to do some research on locals around here for sure.

The owner says it runs great, that he just uses his battery charger to turn it on whenever he likes. He still uses it, it seems, just not often due to new vehicle he got. I plan on test driving it tomorrow or Thursday so I will ask him that then and check it out for myself. He says there is no check engine light on, only the Brake light as it needs new ones. And yeah, I agree.. but surpassing 200,000 kinda makes me wonder. I know someone on here said theirs gave out at 260,000 (highest I've seen one go for).

Old 05-02-2017, 04:22 PM
TReK

I have an '03 with 204k... replacement engine at 38k... Head gaskets 60k back... just found coolant bubbling into #6.

It's a crap shoot, as long as you are prepared to do the work or spend the money as needed then why quibble over a few bucks, at this point it's cheap enough and with an LR, what's a few thousand bucks, right? It might run perfect right now, but anything can really happen no matter how well maintained. Sometimes these blocks just decide to leak. In my case never overheated. I know because I put all the miles on it myself.

When did they do the head gaskets?

Last edited by Dave03S; 05-02-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:15 PM
4wd Low

Hey Dave & Southern, found out some more info on the cooling system and they mentioned it's good. Gauges are and have always been looking good, no signs of it getting hot. They never had the head gaskets replaced based on what they told me just now, only had the engine and transmission replaced at 38,000 (which now has 153,000). And the front axle u-joint yoke replaced just a few months back. They did their regular tune ups with plugs, oils and air filters.

So in reality the engine and transmission have 38,000 miles less than 191,000 and they're asking $2,500... seem fair? Considering I have to get a new battery and replace the brakes... not sweating the minor dings or electrical issues mentioned.. I still need to test drive it for myself..

Old 05-02-2017, 05:22 PM
TReK

What area are you in? One with winter? Look underneath at the frame for rust, front and rear.

The "front axel u-joint yoke" is called the "front driveshaft."

Old 05-02-2017, 05:28 PM
4wd Low

I am in Texas. And I don't believe it has the winter pack. And yeah, I will make sure of that!

Quick Reply: 03' Dsicovery II SE7 - Worth Buying?