Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 missfire issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 missfire issues

'03 Disco 46K. Under warranty but I really don't want to wait a week for the appointment.

I'm getting the following codes:
P1300
P0306
P0301
P0300

From what I've read in searches the usual suspects are plugs wires and coil, but all this started on the end of a tank of fuel with the LR fuel conditioner. Just wanted to see if that was at all relevant.

How it started and what it's doing:

1st time- Started fine and ran fine for about 6 miles on the interstate. While sitting at the traffic light at the end of the exit ramp it started idling really rough and service engine light came on. Ran rough for about 2/10 mi. then straightened out, when restarted light was off and it was running fine. Continued to run fine for about three days. When started yesterday engine light on, idled really rough & ran really rough,much worse than the first time and has never straightened out so I am no longer driving it. Something else odd happened yesterday while running errands, I had a full tank of gas then stopped and when I started it up again it was reading 3/4 tank (on level ground) stopped again and on the next restart I was back to a full tank.

When I got home I pulled what I think was #1 plug and it looks perfect, but I wanted to verify I really did pull #1

7 8
5 6
3 4
1 2
Front of Car

Is this the correct order and is the coil pack seriously wedged in between the back of the engine and the firewall? I mean really, WTF?

Also I read conflicting info on stock LR wires some said they were Bosch, but Disco Mike said Bosh wires were no good on Rovers. My wires are blueish with some Italian sounding name on them, sorry, I forget what exactly it is. Do these sound like OE wires.

Thanks sooooo much in advance for everyones help.
-T-

Old 01-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 03 missfire issues

Too many things to consider here, I would suggest not driving it and get it to the dealer ASAP. Could be fuel pump, wires, fuel injectors, bad gas, or doubtfully bad coil pack.

Search firing order on here to find the order. The only time my gas gauge has done that is when I have been running regular premium fuel and then getting a tank with Ethanol in it. Makes the gauge float all over. But I have a 97 so my float is saturated... Can't see that on a new one...

Old 01-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, I always use Premium gas. I took it by the dealer first thing yesterday when the light was on so they could read the codes. They didn't seem too concerned and didn't even want to read the code. The first appointment they had is a week away so I'd rather fix it myself and be able to drive it than have it sit for a week waiting on the dealer to fix it under warranty.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You have the plus numbered wrong, #1 is the first plug on the drivers side, all the even plugs are on the passengers side.
Let the dealer deal with it, installing plug wires, if needed is expensive.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks guys. I was hoping there was some common problem I was unaware of. There's no way I have the patience to wait a week for someone else to fix something I'm perfectly capable of fixing, especially when I'll have to pay $100 deductible at the dealer. The way I see it is if it's just wires, I spend $100 on new magnecors and dont have another problem for a long time. If the dealer does it, it's $100 today and then $100 next year and so on for the same crappy wires. I'd also rather pay for parts than payments on a car I can't drive. Once I get it fixed I'll let you know in case someone else has the same set of problems sometime.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Find out what kind of wires are on it.

Order some Magnacor's and have them install them when they work on it. (If they say it needs wires). If not, just hang onto them until you need them, if you plan on keeping the truck. They are only going to get more expensive...

Old 01-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Rock Crawling

The wires on there now are light blue and say Leoni on the side.

I got the cyl order from RAVE so when it said left bank, right bank numbered from front of engine that meant "left bank" if I were sitting in the car not from the front of the hood then numbered from front to back, correct?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

It will have factory wires on it. I had a similar issue and was able to have Rover install my Magnacor's under warranty and just let them keep their factory wires.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Rock Crawling

OK, update. When the dealer pulled the codes there were misfires on 5,7 and 8 in addition to the original 1 and 3. When I pulled 1 and 3 when it first acted up they looked fine, a little lean if anything. New plugs and wires came today and when I pulled the old plugs every single one was terrible, totally black and cruddy. Does this sound more like an ECU issue?