Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Radiator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. New fan clutch is evidence that someone removed the fan (always mark rad or engine side) - if this is reversed, will over heat at slow and idle. Curved sides of blades go toward engine block. Harder to get wrong on a D2.

2. If you have trash between rad and condenser, or plugged up condenser, that could be an issue. Shine flash light through both to check.

3. My favorite - reversed electric fans - my PO reversed the polarity when he replaced them, would overheat at idle because it subtracted air from main fan.

4. Stat may have trash inside, blocking the four drain holes around the stat.

5. Is electric fan coming on? This is controlled by the computer.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-26-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

A few months back people were talking about bad thermostats for D2. Not sure about OEM or aftermarket, but they might even be the same thing... not sure.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermostat came from Atlantic British. It was the aftermarket variety. Electric fan is coming on. I can hear it at idle at stoplights. This morning on the way to work it was about 46 degrees and the electric fan is humming which just doesn't seem right. I put on a used fan from an 01 D2 when I put a new clutch on. I can double check that orientation. When I replaced the Rad it seems pretty clean no leaves or trash anywhere around condenser, tranny cooler or radiator. I can try to check the electric fan to be sure it is spinning the right way, I hadn't even thought of that. I have searched Autozone, OReillys, and Rockauto and can't find a different place to get a thermostat from. Any place other than Atlantic British I can order one from to try?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

see Duralast/Thermostat (44080) | 2001 Land Rover Discovery II 8 Cylinders 2 4.0L MFI OHV | AutoZone.com

When fan(s) are turning, should pull air or a wimpy plastic bag toward the grille. Don't try the stop blade with fingers trick, or your new nickname will be "Stubby".

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-27-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Mudding

I think I'll get try the plastic bag trick see if it is pulling air. Ill do it when cold, as electric fan should be off and mechanical fan should be cranking. Ill do it again with engine hot and electric fan is working and compare results. Good idea, thank you buzz.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Have you checked/replaced your viscus clutch, that is where I would look first.
Your electric fan comes on around 204 to 206. Driving in cooler temp should prevent the engine for getting that hot so there are issues there for sure.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Mudding

Yes fan clutch was changed before radiator was changed. The factory fan and clutch was worn so I put in a brand new chevy clutch and fan from a junkyard 01 disco. Heating up is about the same. I am leaning towards thermostat being bad. I wish I had kept me old one to tr y. Only constant here is the thermostat. Engine ran so poorly before teardown that I never documented the old cooling system behavior

Old 10-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ruffram
Yes fan clutch was changed before radiator was changed. The factory fan and clutch was worn so I put in a brand new chevy clutch and fan from a junkyard 01 disco. Heating up is about the same. I am leaning towards thermostat being bad. I wish I had kept me old one to tr y. Only constant here is the thermostat. Engine ran so poorly before teardown that I never documented the old cooling system behavior
I think I've still got my old thermostat from when I replaced all of the the hoses on my 03. Do you ever go to NW Arkansas?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Mudding

Not really, but I would pay you for shipping if I decide to go that route. U don't ever make it to Branson do you?

Quick Reply: 03 Radiator Replacement