Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 CDL linkage installation question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 04 CDL linkage installation question

Hey everyone,
I will be installing a 04 CDL linkage this weekend. I have a couple questions.

1. Do I have to remove the metal plate that holds the shifters in place?

I know that when putting in a D1 linkage or 3rd party you need to cut out a hole in it to allow the left-to-right movement, but I'm pretty sure that's not necessary with the 04 style linkage as it is designed differently.

If that is the case, I feel like I could/should be able to simply unbolt my hi-lo shifter, and bolt in the new CDL linkage without having to remove the plate. Am I way off on this one?

2. If I do have to remove the plate, I think I am going to use sheet metal screws to put it back in place. Any guidance on about how long they should be? Also should I use any sealant when putting the plate back in?

Thanks everyone, this really is a great forum and I personally really appreciate your help.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

1. as far as I know you will have to drill out the rivets and remove the plate, not a big deal just shear the heads off with a 1/4 inch bit.

2. you want to use the shortest screw possible, I think i used something like 1/4 in long screws. you down want to be reaching up there some day and rip your hand apart. I put a bead of black RTV on the cover before i put it back on, but i put a thin coat of RTV on everything.

you should do a search on the 04 shifter I think it comes with a soliond that you have to remove before installing it.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Once installed and because you can not wire the 04 shifter into your 2000, you will notice your 3 Amigos may come on sometimes, which offers you a good feature.
When this happens, send me your number and I'll call and walk you thru this.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Winching

Thanks for the replies. The linkage that I got actually has the 04 plate attached. Would it be possible to simply switch the plates all-together?

Also, I did read about the solenoid that needs to be removed. Any have a picture of this?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drilled out the rivets and then used new pop rivets to secure the plate.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You do not have to remove the solenoid just to install a shift linkage.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Winching

So can/should I just swap out the whole plate?

Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bballjames
So can/should I just swap out the whole plate?
I would not. Its only 4 bolts that hold in the hi/low/cdl lever just drill your rivets and pull out the original and replace with the new one. Not really all that bad of a job, also I would remove the solenoid as described before just makes things easier for you and you will always have the factory solenoid in place so no problems there. Removing the rivets and pulling the plate up will make it so much faster than trying to do things from under the truck. Just remember as drowssap stated to put a bead of sealer around the edge of the plate not only to water tight but for noise to. Would not hurt to put a bead around the top of new unit before tightening up the bolts either.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Winching

Thanks. If I do not remove the solenoid I won't be able to shift from hi to lo right? Just trying to get this straight before I go digging into it. Want to make sure I do it right the first time.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Banned

Yes you are correct, you could technically put power to it and utilize it but why? Just follow the step & dig it out and if your concerned with your cigar lighter use parts of solenoid to replace it with a American size cigar lighter!

Quick Reply: 04 CDL linkage installation question