Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Disco 3" Lift Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 Disco 3" Lift Questions

First thread on the forum, so bear with me.

I picked up Shiftonthefly1's 04 Discovery and need to get a proper 3" lift installed. I've found through a couple rover sites what I believe to be the lift and accessories that will give me what I need.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...2-white-83825/

I'm new to Rovers but not new to offroading or suspension work (CJ7, Dakota, Tacoma's, Scout, F150).

Primary use will be daily driver and weekend warrior in and around Las Vegas and Southern Utah (rock crawling, sand dunes, and some desert running).
I've made my mind up on 3" over 2" for numerous reasons and not really looking for that debate.

I do have 275/70/18 (33") BFG KO2's installed and 4.11's with R/Detroit and F/Trutrac ready to install.

Build Components for 3" Lift (nothing purchased yet):
  • RTE - 3" Springs (Medium, no bumpers or winch yet)
  • Fox Shocks (Lucky8 Kit w/4 Fox 2.0's)
  • Tom Woods Front Double Single
  • Lucky 8 Rear Drive Shaft (needed for new rear 3rd w/4.11s)
  • Terrafirma Adjustable Panhard Bar
  • Steering Damper (Bilstein or Terrafirma)
  • SS Brake Lines
  • Front Swaybar Disconnects
  • Use stock front sway bar links in rear
  • Relocate ABS lines
  • Lifetime Alignment

Is this a good start knowing that I might need Radius Arms and upgraded watts linkage down the road?

Thanks,
Steve
Las Vegas, NV

Last edited by EasyDoesIt; 05-26-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Pretty good plan, I'd also recommend

- deleting rear sway bar. seriously, just remove it
- SlickRockFab sway bar disconnects for the front, plus they can be lengthened to accommodate the lift
- 3 degree castor corrected front radius arms. Those 3" rte springs are going to put a knarly twist on the front axle
- britpart poly bush set

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Blake:
EasyDoesIt (05-26-2017), JUKE179r (04-06-2018)
Old 05-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

With that set up you'd be really set. In that form it would be more than capable to handle most anything.

Don't forget diff armor and rock sliders

The following users liked this post:
EasyDoesIt (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 03:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Pretty good plan, I'd also recommend

- deleting rear sway bar. seriously, just remove it
- SlickRockFab sway bar disconnects for the front, plus they can be lengthened to accommodate the lift
- 3 degree castor corrected front radius arms. Those 3" rte springs are going to put a knarly twist on the front axle
- britpart poly bush set
Thank you.
My only concern with deleting the rear swaybar is body roll during daily driving. Is there literately no difference once you add the RTE Springs/Fox Shocks?

Those SlickRockFab disconnects are nice. I'm hoping I can getaway without the corrected radius arms for a bit with the use of the double carden front shaft....thoughts?

Old 05-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
With that set up you'd be really set. In that form it would be more than capable to handle most anything.

Don't forget diff armor and rock sliders
Once my savings account recovers from the lift, rock sliders are next...I'll just have to take it easy until then.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I've not been a fan if deleting the rear while driving a lot on road. Plus the plan had some towing as well right?

I had a few different versions of 3 inch springs on my D2. I was under the the impression the D2 could take 3" of lift with no castor correction. I never had any vibrations and the wheel turned to center very easily. I remember my alignment on the 3" lift was within spec.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:16 PM
Pro Wrench

I don't notice the slightest difference without the rear sways on the road. I have TF 3" HD springs. Not having them is very convenient, once you're off the road, disconnect the front sways and you're ready to roll.

I guess you can do without the corrected arms, but the steering will suck, and you might be putting the driveshaft and various tie rods and wonky angles.

Also add the terrafirma HD drag and track rod.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 05-26-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:20 PM
Pro Wrench

And the last potential mod I can think of is cranking the rear watts or converting to a panhard. It's the one thing I haven't done... but I'm not sure I ever will

Old 05-26-2017, 05:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Three degree castor corrected radius arms will vastly improve your steering.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt
Thank you.
My only concern with deleting the rear swaybar is body roll during daily driving. Is there literately no difference once you add the RTE Springs/Fox Shocks?

Those SlickRockFab disconnects are nice. I'm hoping I can getaway without the corrected radius arms for a bit with the use of the double carden front shaft....thoughts?
I removed my rear sway and only saw one difference. At interstate speeds, 75+ mph, she actually handled better. Blew my mind. With it installed she would wonder back and forth but without it she drove straight and true. That's with stock clapped out 140k shocks, too.

No difference below that speed. 10/10 would recommend.

I would convert to panhard, too. Great upgrade over the watts.

Stock arms will be fine, but you will notice a difference in steering feel. I'm on 3.5" with stock arms and have no real desire to get caster corrected arms any time soon.

For front sway bar disconnects, check this out: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...onnects-73988/
They're still holding strong for me. I do recommend, however, adding some grease to make installation/removal of the pin easier. I've got a pretty good hand full of little write ups like this in the link in my signature. A bunch of the link titles are missing though because the forum changed the way they handle URLs within posts.

Last edited by Alex_M; 05-26-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 04 Disco 3" Lift Questions