Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade Sway Bar Quick Disconnects

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts
Default Homemade Sway Bar Quick Disconnects

So, as a few of you know I have been running without my rear sway bar for a few months now. This is a change I would recommend to anyone. After removing the rear sway, I noticed essentially no difference as far as road mannerisms with one exception: on the interstate. As counter-intuitive as it may seem, I noticed an improvement in handling over 75 mph. Before removing the rear sway would walk back and forth over the road and after removing it it doesn't walk around at all. Armed with this knowledge, last night I decided to try disconnecting the front sway bar. To be honest, it drover down the road at 55mph perfectly fine. Well, until I tried to make an emergency lane change. Then it was absolutely terrifying. After learning this, I decided to make my own quick disconnects. Armed with an angle grinder, a drill, and a couple of pins, that's exactly what I did. Time involved was a trip to Lowes and about 30 minutes, not including the 15 minutes it took me to disconnect the sway bar for the first time using vice grips, a breaker bar, and an 18mm socket.

I, obviously, started by jacking it up, removing the wheel, setting up my jack stand under the axle, and disconnecting the top link of the sway bar. I did this to both sides so that the bar was completely disconnected. I then took the angle grinder and grinded down the threaded side facing me so that it was flat, making it easier to drill into. I slid the sway bar all the way back down onto the link as tight as I could get it. I took my drill and using a drill bit the same diameter as the pins I was using I drilled a hole through the center of the link flat against the sway bar. I then slid the pin through to make sure it fit. Then I took the pin back out, slid the sway bar back off of the link, and did the other side. Here is a picture of what it looks like after I was finished.

Name:  7VJmads.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  1.36 MB

I have driven it about 10 minutes making as many harsh side to side maneuvers as possible and so far it is working perfectly. I will watch it daily for the next week and weekly for the next couple thousand miles just to be safe, but so far it's working perfectly.

Final cost, including bit, was about $10. That includes two extra pins to get myself home just in case one breaks so I can figure out the problem and return to stock, but so far I don't think I will have any issues.

Last edited by Alex_M; 11-13-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Camel Trophy

Just an update. I've driven about 3k with the pins in. They've been in and out and I haven't been gentle on them when they were in. The pins are showing pretty much no signs of wear, so I'm calling this one a success.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

You need a column or a weekly TV show!

Good idea! I was staring at my front sway connects today while learning that my front driveshaft is ruined. You must be psychic.

Sadly I won't be doing this one. My tires stick out so far that if I didn't have sway bars I wouldn't have fenders.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-09-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, I'm on a decent run the past few days. Now we just see if I can keep it up.

That's a bummer. You've got 2" spacers don't you? I had a cheap set for a very short period. What brand did you get?

Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 PM
Camel Trophy

I can't remember. But they are FANCY. Black anodized. And TOO BIG.

The truck does look bad A with them and the Toyo mud tires, though. But what what pain in the rear.

I had them off tonight. Super light. If I can find the order email I'll post the brand.

Next set of tires will be a little narrower.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:20 PM
Camel Trophy

I've been looking for another smaller set. I've been thinking some 1.25" BORAs. They seem to be pretty nice. I just don't want to have any scrubbing issues.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:56 AM
Camel Trophy

That's the name. Bora. Your post reminded me. My tires and the 2 inch Bora spacers are too much. Tires are the real issue... mine are too wide. Probably too tall too.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Camel Trophy

Just an update, it's been a couple thousand more miles. The disconnects are holding up perfectly! Just one tip, slather the whole area and the pin in Moly grease. It makes everything a LOT easier to get together and apart.

Name:  g4A0fZN.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  84.7 KB

Name:  NNjnyKN.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  86.4 KB

Old 11-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Why not just remove the sway bars?

Old 11-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, I have no rear sway bar on the DII without issue.

Never ran them on the Range Rovers either. The 110 has a rear sway and it will get ditched sooner or later.

Quick Reply: Homemade Sway Bar Quick Disconnects