Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again. He canceled the winning bidders bid and gave me a second chance offer for it. This guy sells Rovers, Mercedes and BMW as his hobby. He lives in a kind of hick town and that is the only way it can get sold. When I go to look at it, I definitely will bring a reputable mechanic.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the first thing you need to ask yourself is the tic going to bother you? if the answer is YES find another truck.
You will spend hours upon hours and dollar after dollar try to fix it.
Better to find a quiet one to begin with than chasing noises, read the posts everything had been tried.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:31 AM
Overlanding

Depends on how loud the tick is. If it is only heard when your outside of the truck and can't here it inside, it wouldn't bother me. Now if it is really loud like a knock, then that would drive me nuts.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

thats all well untill you have to shut it off at every drive thru because you cant be heard over the diesel engine.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Advise..

Originally Posted by berserked
Depends on how loud the tick is. If it is only heard when your outside of the truck and can't here it inside, it wouldn't bother me. Now if it is really loud like a knock, then that would drive me nuts.
I have owned LR's for about 15 years now...If I could do anything different or tell you some great advise, it would be this. If you are intending on buying a used LR with 100k or close to milage on it , I would automatically assume a full top end rebuild and cooling system replacement....Plus numerous other things listed in the forums. I think Mikes 60k service is light at best... if you cant swallow that...... than I would find another car or you will be in for an ugly ride if you are not prepared .....

Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Overlanding

Thanks, I have been reading all the tick threads on here and plan on trying to fix it. I'm going to tune it up and flush the engine also. It has 81000 miles on it.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by berserked
Thanks, I have been reading all the tick threads on here and plan on trying to fix it. I'm going to tune it up and flush the engine also. It has 81000 miles on it.
Also plan on rebuilding the front prop-shaft. This is what the end cap looked like on one of my old U-Joints when I rebuilt the shaft at 84K miles. The needle rollers literally fell out (and were starting to corrode) when I pulled the end cap off.