Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 disco engine rebuild What camshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 04 disco engine rebuild What camshaft?

Im going to pull the motor late this week. What cam should I use? stock engine will no other mods accept pinning the cylinders and having the block decked as well as the heads (lightly). Valve job, new rings bearings and gaskets. New head bolts. Been a european mechanic for 30 years so I know how to build a engine, But I always listen as I might learn. Is the lucky8 cam for $80 OK or should I get something else?I don't want a rough idle and issues down the road

Old 12-25-2018, 12:33 PM
Drifting

Also new oil pump and timing set as well. Thanks in advance

Old 12-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Ive used the Kent Sports H180 as well as the big cam that Crower sells. Both have been really good, no rough idle on a 4.6 or a 4.0. they're higher cost, but the power bump is really nice. I did use Rhoads lifters with the Crower cam, but I expect it would be fine with stock lifters as well.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I was back and forth about putting a stock cam shaft back in my disco when I rebuilt my motor about a year ago or put in a Crower cam. After reading review after review I could never get a good answer if the Crower cams are a drop in replacement or if the ECU needs to be reprogrammed. Most people posting said they had some sort or reprogramming or chip but there always seemed to be an issue. I decided to go with a stock cam from Lucky 8 (part: ERR5250). I couldn’t be happier because I have zero issues after 10k miles and idles and throttles up like it was designed to. I can set my cruise on sport mode and never downshift going 70 from Phoenix to Flagstaff (6000ft gradual incline). IMHO I don’t think the advertised 25- 30HP gain is not worth the possible complications it can cause.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Drifting

Stock camshaft it is. I never want to think Im smarter than the engineers who designed the engine. Im sure it will run better than it does now. 130k on it, runs well but Im sure its worn inside the engine. Ill keep you posted. If all goes as planned it will be a one week turn around. I can do all the machine work at me shop so no outsourcing.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:59 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I’ve got the Kent Cams H180, and it hasn’t caused me any issues, and really livens the engine up.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

For the record, there is NO programming needed for a new camshaft. We do not have advance engine control systems like Variable Valve Timing or incredi ly advanced Direct Injection systems. The vehicle will need to have its adaptive settings reset and that is it. The car will figure the rest out

Old 12-25-2018, 02:21 PM
Mudding

I can not speak for the aftermarket cams and I really wanted to put one in my motor to add a little HP and torque when I rebuilt it. I just couldn’t find enough info to guarantee it would work without issue in my motor and I don’t have time to pull my motor to put a stock cam in or reprogram it if it didn’t jive. Please don’t let me talk you out of a hotter cam if you are considering it. I just wanted to error on the side of caution since these vehicles are prone to gremlins once you start changing things up.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I've got 30k miles on aftermarket cams in the 4.6l Rover v8. No reprogramming of any kind is required. It's a drop in replacement.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:45 PM
Mudding

That is my point... one person is saying it is drop and drive and another is saying the “adaptive setting” will need to be reset in the ECU. I just wanted to drive my Discovery when my new motor was back in the car. Do whatever you like, I was just stating why I chose go with a stock cam.

Quick Reply: 04 disco engine rebuild What camshaft?