Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Disco II...Help me target the Oil Leak!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Disco II...Help me target the Oil Leak!

Here are a few pics of the oil leak... 110K miles. Just had the Valve Cover gaskets replaced less than 500 miles ago by a local mechanic. Pressure washed the entire belly pan, seemed to stop it for a day, and it is back again.

Seems to sweat oil on several of the oil pan mounting bolts. Also, a drip always seems to come off the bottom of the front differential. When oil is hot and it drips - it travels.....

I am thinking oil pan OR front crank seal...any suggestions???

Attached Thumbnails 04 Disco II...Help me target the Oil Leak!-jonny-2.jpg   04 Disco II...Help me target the Oil Leak!-jonny-1.jpg  
Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

you need to clean/decrease the whole engine (block, front cover, bellhousing, etc. Then look to see where it originates form. Just cleaning the bottom of the engine wont tell you much.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Clean it all, top bottom and front of the engine, if you can't find it then take it to a shop.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

From what I am told and learning these things are oil leakers plain and simple..mine with new motor, new gaskets is weeping oil from the oil pan with less than 350miles, pitiful. I am told the oil pan gasket design sux *****. I will be changing my gasket at the next oil change. Anyone have a tip to fix this once and for all?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
I am told the oil pan gasket design sux *****. I will be changing my gasket at the next oil change. Anyone have a tip to fix this once and for all?
I'm not too sure about this. The oil pan gasket is hard plastic with metal bushings in the bolt holes. I've taken my oil pan off three times in the last month for other reasons and continue to reuse the same gasket and it doesn't leak. You could be leaking front main seal, rear main seal, a whole number of places. Take the above advice, clean, inspect, and post pictures. You may want to make sure the valve covers and oil pan are nice and tight as well.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The oil on the front diff is probably coming from the oil filter area. Try tightening the filter as much as possible. There's also a known issue of leaks at the filter mount. If tightening doesn't help, look for that.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

and you can wipe down the front crank seal, another prolific leaker, and take a fingerfiul of rtv and go around it. Let it cure 24 hours, crank, and it will shear a hairline crack in the RTV, and may slow your leak for a while.

A mirror on a stick helps.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandrew
I'm not too sure about this. The oil pan gasket is hard plastic with metal bushings in the bolt holes. I've taken my oil pan off three times in the last month for other reasons and continue to reuse the same gasket and it doesn't leak. You could be leaking front main seal, rear main seal, a whole number of places. Take the above advice, clean, inspect, and post pictures. You may want to make sure the valve covers and oil pan are nice and tight as well.
nope all on oil pan. Weird I am going to buy another gasket and metal bushings and see if this fixes my issue

Old 07-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The metal spacers are built into the gasket and there so it can't be over tightened.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

this is on the new cannibal motor? are you sure it is the pan and not the front or rear seal?
put a thin coat of black RTV on both side of the gasket, there is no need for them to leak.

Quick Reply: 04 Disco II...Help me target the Oil Leak!