Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Disco II - Just Purchased - Requesting input/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 09:42 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
Here’s my build list. http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...it?usp=sharing

Nothing really special with the tools. Got a set of metric and SAE sockets and wrenches. Also got a cherry picker, 4 jack stands, a hydraulic jack, borescope, Bluetooth OBD reader with OBD Fusion app, battery powered impact driver and sockets and a bunch of long extensions for the socket wrenches. Then just bought a few odds and ends from there. No mechanical experience when I started so I made a lot of costly mistakes along the way but it was a fun project and now I have a unique and reliable vehicle.
This list is great! Provides me with a rough list of what I may be looking at moving forward. Any pointers you may have would be greatly appreciated so I may avoid any "costly mistakes" of my own. TY

Old 07-07-2020, 12:10 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

1st thing get the bluetooth 327 ODB reader and Torque and find out exactly how hot your truck is running. Aluminum engines and heat are a bad combo get that checked and sorted out.

Next or while you wait for the ODB oil and filter change,checking actual oil pressure is a bit difficult but use a good quality 10/40, 10/30 is too light for and older engine that may be sloppy. Do NOT use a engine flush that can cause a world of problems

Then service the transfer case and Diffs because has stuff has likely been in there forever, I like the Amsoil 75/140 synthetic but any good brand of gear oil will work.

From there deal with issues as they come up, although a new serviceable front driveshaft is a good idea.

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
cvhyatt (07-07-2020), SadaJones (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 05:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by SadaJones
This list is great! Provides me with a rough list of what I may be looking at moving forward. Any pointers you may have would be greatly appreciated so I may avoid any "costly mistakes" of my own. TY
Depends on what your initial diagnostics come up with. Richard is on point - get an OBD reader and check the temps and any codes. That will get you started. A lot of good stuff to do here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...service-29020/

The following users liked this post:
SadaJones (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 06:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 448 Likes on 261 Posts

When all is working, add an oil cooler. Oil temps up to 250F (at which dino and blend oils already degrade) are normal without, an oil cooler reduces temps by 20F (verified with an oil temp gauge). It requires a sandwich plate, since the stock ports very likely do not work on a '04. If you use a sandwich plate with a thermostat, it is even a big improvement over the older Discos with oil cooler.

SadaJones (07-07-2020)
Old 07-14-2021, 02:25 PM
Drifting

Hello All,

It's been a bit and my Disco II build is coming along. Had a question about tires and wheels and will greatly appreciate your input on the following.
Turned into a ground up rebuild that is going to be a DD and have the ability to truly off-road it.
My current choices are to go with 16" or 18" wheels.
I am most likely going with 32" tires, as I understand it are pretty common.
My question has to do with which wheel size should I go with, keeping in mind I will most likely be highway 90% of the time and what tire to pair with it?
I do understand the 16" wheel will allow for more of a "cushioned" ride and better for off-road capabilities. From previous conversations I was told that 16" wheels and finding/ purchasing tires will be more expensive and possibly harder to find initially and in the future.
So I am leaning towards the 18" wheels and then looking for a good 32" tire.
What tire would be best for say 90% highway and 10% off road that will be a great overall tire?
Thank you!

Old 07-14-2021, 02:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by SadaJones
Hello All,

It's been a bit and my Disco II build is coming along. Had a question about tires and wheels and will greatly appreciate your input on the following.
Turned into a ground up rebuild that is going to be a DD and have the ability to truly off-road it.
My current choices are to go with 16" or 18" wheels.
I am most likely going with 32" tires, as I understand it are pretty common.
My question has to do with which wheel size should I go with, keeping in mind I will most likely be highway 90% of the time and what tire to pair with it?
I do understand the 16" wheel will allow for more of a "cushioned" ride and better for off-road capabilities. From previous conversations I was told that 16" wheels and finding/ purchasing tires will be more expensive and possibly harder to find initially and in the future.
So I am leaning towards the 18" wheels and then looking for a good 32" tire.
What tire would be best for say 90% highway and 10% off road that will be a great overall tire?
Thank you!
I had the same issue and ended up with 18” wheels. There where just more options for all terrain tires in that size. See my build thread for details.

SadaJones (07-15-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 05:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I drive 50 miles a day both ways on a highway commute. The CooperAdventurer AT LT275/65/18 tires have been pretty rock solid for me, they are quiet on the highway, wear well and capable off road. Only downside is they don’t shed mud.

The following 2 users liked this post by cvhyatt:
astromikan (07-15-2021), SadaJones (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Hi zski128,
Checked out your build thread, nice!
I went with the Dark Crow Designs bumpers and sliders, ordered them back in March and got them about two weeks ago now, if memory serves.
If you're going to get them I would soon as steel prices have gone up like 30%, or go with another set up as they were pretty pricey to begin with.
Thank you, Toyo Open Country AT3 265/70r18. looks like a great tire.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Ty, now I have two tires to compare!

Old 07-15-2021, 10:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Sada - Where are you located? I am upgrading my tires to Yokohoma 33" and my Coopers will be up for sale in case you're interested. They have 10k miles on them.

Quick Reply: 04 Disco II - Just Purchased - Requesting input/Advice