Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Disco OM617 Diesel Swap (Harvey)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Well I just caught myself. Is your adapter for the 700r4 or the r380? If it is a manual it wouldn't have a front adapter, I suppose.

EDIT: Taken this to PM

Last edited by Charlie_V; 01-16-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious what ever was the plan to deal with the BECM, as in our disco2 .. lots of features run off this body ecu, and i wouldn't want to delete it. If i could get some insight on how to make it happy, I would be installing a diesel myself. Anyone have a clue regarding the BECM? "redfin rover"(sp?) guy on expedition portal said that the BECM needed a crank sensor and and a few other sensors to be happy. I cant find anything out though. I do have a pinout for the BECM though.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Not quite the same thing, but, diesel hybrids are now winning Le Mans in the shape of Audi. If you look at the performance of some tuned TD5 engines you would be amazed and they don't spend life having their engines torn down for head and cylinder repairs.

If you access Landrover Owner International, November 2009 there is an article on the worlds fastest LR Defender TD5 at the Nurburgring, that's certainly no slouch................................ for a diesel.

Diesels are making seriously inroads into the performance market and are very reliable. They don't make big horsepower but can make serious torque.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Not quite the same thing, but, diesel hybrids are now winning Le Mans in the shape of Audi. If you look at the performance of some tuned TD5 engines you would be amazed and they don't spend life having their engines torn down for head and cylinder repairs.
Now winning? The Audi TDI car has won 8 of the last 7 races since 2006!

Sabine Schmitz put race cars and bikes to shame while lapping the Nurburgring in a Ford Diesel Van!

I can't fathom why diesels aren't more common here in the US, people would save so much money with better MPG.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Camel Trophy

It is California's fault. California emission standards killed consumer diesels here. And California is such a shining example for the world, No? Even outside of California I remember a time when everyone would look askance at diesel smoke as though someone was blowing cigarette smoke in their faces.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by sounder
just curious what ever was the plan to deal with the BECM, as in our disco2 .. lots of features run off this body ecu, and i wouldn't want to delete it. If i could get some insight on how to make it happy, I would be installing a diesel myself. Anyone have a clue regarding the BECM? "redfin rover"(sp?) guy on expedition portal said that the BECM needed a crank sensor and and a few other sensors to be happy. I cant find anything out though. I do have a pinout for the BECM though.
Sounder, I responded to your email.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I considered a 700R4... I just decided I would get a NEW LR 5 speed manual (there is nothing wrong with my auto, but I want to eliminate electronics problems and have more control since this the OM617, unless it is tuned WAY up, is going to need more gears at different times). Any thoughts on this?

I know I am late and maybe redundant but...

Go for the new 5 sp. There is actually a LR importer in Atlanta of rebuild R380's. You DO want the longer bell housing and the long input shaft from a D1 and NOT the Defender. The install is straight forward using a 3/8 - 1/2 adapter plate. I used 3/8. You will also need a bearing with outside diameter to fit the om617 crank shaft, and race inner diameter to fit where the LR pilot bushing. You then have a decision to use a manual flywheel from a Euro 5sp 300D, a G-Wagon to take up 38 lbs place of the torqu converter.... Or a 240D manual flywheel that is 28 lbs. Either way the om617 crank must be balanced with proper weight or suffer horrific vibration and a broken crank. If you find a used 240 or 300 flywheel, chances are it has been indexet for TDC position and it will be balances. Balancing required for a NEW flywheel but TDC indexing is crucial.

Last edited by raeuspius; 09-27-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:10 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by raeuspius
I know I am late and maybe redundant but...

Go for the new 5 sp. There is actually a LR importer in Atlanta of rebuild R380's. You DO want the longer bell housing and the long input shaft from a D1 and NOT the Defender. The install is straight forward aside from the 3/4 - 1" adapter plate. You will also need a bearing with outside diameter to fit the om617 crank shaft, and race inner diameter to fit where the LR pilot bushing. You then have a desision to use a manual flywheel from a Euro 5sp 300D, a G-Wagon to take up 38 lbs place of the torqu converter.... Or a 240D manual flywheel that is 28 lbs. Either way the om617 crank must be balanced with proper weight or suffer horrific vibration and a broken crank.
Very good information. Adding it to my file. Three years in the making.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adapter thickness correction

In your last quoted response to my last reply, I stated that 3/4 - 1" thickness would be proper. It is responsible of me now that my build is done to make clear that for spline contact of input shaft to clutch disk and pilot bushing or bearing application, I used 3/8

3/4 - 1" was way too thick to make all integral parts have a good relationship for driving. That is without spacing facility inside.

The thicker the adapter plate, the more distance has to be made up with the clutch assembly inside the bell housing including building up the fork or the back of the throw out bearing where the fork pushes. Closer the trans is to motor, less distance to close inside bell housing.

That really is the absolute most critical area of the build.

Last edited by raeuspius; 09-27-2014 at 10:42 AM.