Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Discovery or 05/06 LR3

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Discovery or 05/06 LR3

I've done a couple of searches, and forgive me if this has been beaten to death.

I'm looking at my first LR purchase and I can't decide on weather to get the 04 Disco or 05/06 LR3. I'm looking at under 20k so the Disco would definately fit that bill and there are some 05/06 LR3's that can be found for that as well. Both would have high miles, which doesn't bother me that much.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have the space and tools to do most of regular maintenance on my own. The only thing I HATE, other than car dealers, is electrical problems. I know the LR3 has 327 more computers than the Disco, thanks Bill Gates, so that is something that is steering me away from the get go.

I'm looking for opinions on the pluses and minuses for either one.

Or more specifically, which one would you trust if you were in Big Bend National Park, hundreds of miles away from civilization in 100 plus heat and had to know that you're going to make it through some bad terrain without your vehicle dying on you?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If that is what you want the truck for then I would get a DI. There are almost no electrics that control the engine and the engine management has a default mode.
So as long as you have fuel and spark and air she will run, she might run like crap but you'll get home.

Second choice would be a DII, then the LR3.
If you like to turn a wrench on your own then stay away from the LR3, like you said, it's all controlled by computers.
It has full air ride suspension, so if there is a problem you are riding home on the bump stops front and rear axles.
Atleast with a DII if the SLS goes south only the rear will sag.

The LR3 is a VERY nice truck, the V6 (EXACT same engine as a Explorer, they ship it to the UK and then ship the truck back to the US) does not require (but recommended)premium gas, the V8 (Jaguar engine) does.

The info screen in the dash on the LR3 is very cool, and that screen is like $3000 new, so dont let your kids and their soft drinks near it.
The built in GPS needs to be updated every couple of years, $100+ for the disc to do this.
They are very nice trucks but I just dont know how reliable they are and how DIY friendly they are to work on/fix.

They are very capable off roaders.
Get the '04.