Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110 degrees today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 110 degrees today...

While I don't know exactly how hot it got here today, my external temperature reading at 6PM was 116 degrees, and I know my sensor reads low 5 degrees every time I compare it to a bank thermometer...

I got in, started up, lowered all of the windows, cranked the A/C down to 62 degrees, and headed home. When the interior had cooled off a bit (it might have been in excess of 200 degrees when I first entered it), I raised the windows, and enjoyed a relaxing, comfortable, cool ride home.

/posting this to hopefully offset the posts about problems with our Landys.

//will not be surprised if A/C acts up, and windows fail in near future because of this post

Old 08-03-2011, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Hopefully Mr. Murphy will be riding in the other lane. And since these things seem to sell pretty well in hot areas of the world, probably most of the overheat problems on our forum are some sort of combination of lack of service (previous owner, too many things for soccer mom to juggle, money issues) and increased age of vehicles. Old skool mechanics seldom got to see something with 250K on it. Not anymore. And something that has gone multiple times the factory warranty will have things start to fail for the most obscure reasons. Which increases the need for good diagnostics, right at the time when younger techs are more dependant on scanners and PCs to tell them what to think.

That's why I enjoy this forum, no one knows more than all of us together.

We, the un-willing, inspired by the unknowing, have done so much with so little for so long we can maintain anything forever with nothing.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

My oldest is a mechanic in the Army.
Everything is modular, nothing to fix, only to replace.
When a truck drives in the door all the info is transmitted to the techs computer, date of last oil change, when next oil change is due, engine temp, fuel level, oil PSI, etc. as well as the fault code(s).
Look up faults in the book, replace component(s) and then test drive.
They fix nothing in the field, if a truck breaks down they abandon it and come back for it when it is safe and then tow it to the shop.
If they know they cannot retrieve the truck they blow it up and leave it.

He just replaced the radiator in a 5ton truck, empty it weighs 200lbs and it holds 10 gal of coolant.
He sends me pics of things he is working on, its cool.