Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Supercharged engine in Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:28 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Supercharged engine in Discovery II

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help. I recently took the Land Rover plunge. I have always been into 4 wheeling but owned the typical culprits (Jeep Wrangler)

I realized for many years the reputation Land Rover has received and was leary but could not go through life without giving her a shot. Well I own a 1992 Range Rover with a 3.9 (4.0?) and it is supercharged. Ugly thing and well I got her cheap a couple years ago and she still runs like a champ.

Recently I acquired a Disco II. All the bells and whistles. (lifted, winch, bumper, roof rack and a decent interior) but as with most..she has head gasket issues. Now here is where I am at.
I really dont want to replace those head gaskets...but what I want to do is use that 1992 3.9 supercharged engine in that Disco II.

My questions are. 1. Will it work? Talking a full just pull the engine tranny out and drop her in the Disco...or should I just rebuild the 4.0 and try and retro that supercharger in there.
Like I said I am very new to the Land Rover scene and would like the professionals opinions.

Thanks in advance guys, I truly like this Disco II and would love to make her work for me.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Mace
Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help. I recently took the Land Rover plunge. I have always been into 4 wheeling but owned the typical culprits (Jeep Wrangler)

I realized for many years the reputation Land Rover has received and was leary but could not go through life without giving her a shot. Well I own a 1992 Range Rover with a 3.9 (4.0?) and it is supercharged. Ugly thing and well I got her cheap a couple years ago and she still runs like a champ.

Recently I acquired a Disco II. All the bells and whistles. (lifted, winch, bumper, roof rack and a decent interior) but as with most..she has head gasket issues. Now here is where I am at.
I really dont want to replace those head gaskets...but what I want to do is use that 1992 3.9 supercharged engine in that Disco II.

My questions are. 1. Will it work? Talking a full just pull the engine tranny out and drop her in the Disco...or should I just rebuild the 4.0 and try and retro that supercharger in there.
Like I said I am very new to the Land Rover scene and would like the professionals opinions.

Thanks in advance guys, I truly like this Disco II and would love to make her work for me.
Generally speaking, the NA rover v8s don't handle boost. At all.

You could *probably* just swap the engines and use all the sensors from the 4.0, but to be honest I don't know much about the supercharged v8s and I could be completely wrong. Hopefully someone with experience with both engines could be more helpful.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:48 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Generally speaking, the NA rover v8s don't handle boost. At all.

You could *probably* just swap the engines and use all the sensors from the 4.0, but to be honest I don't know much about the supercharged v8s and I could be completely wrong. Hopefully someone with experience with both engines could be more helpful.
Its exactly like this one in the link.

Last of the Classics: 1995 Range Rover SWB | Bring a Trailer

https://www.flickr.com/photos/510357...7626163471962/

The supercharger and everything work awesome. I love the power and all however I have this Disco II that is already built to the hilt that just needs a heartbeat. I guess I will just take the engine out of the Disco II and go from there. Shes gonna have to come out anyway.
The head gaskets are so bad that she wont start and pushes alot of air via the coolant tank.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Then it should just be a standard Rover V8 with a different intake/cam/crank/rods. I'd almost throw a cam in it too if I were doing the swap, but everything *should* bolt up. Might have to do some custom work with the intake so you keep the D2 MAF in line, I'd keep the RR injectors unless the plugs for them were different, use the D2 sensors and exhaust manifolds but maybe some high flow cats and a better muffler. Does the 92 have a distributor or coils? That might be an issue if it's got a distributor. If it does, you can probably flip the supercharger/intake/rotating assembly to the 4.0 block and achieve the same effect, but if it has coil ignition then there wouldn't be any need (probably).

Again, I'm not come tell familiar with the differences. There may be some fatal difference such as having a distributor or a sensor mount being different that would require you to use the 4.0 block, but either way it shouldn't be *too* hard of a swap. Probably.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:58 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Then it should just be a standard Rover V8 with a different intake/cam/crank/rods. I'd almost throw a cam in it too if I were doing the swap, but everything *should* bolt up. Might have to do some custom work with the intake so you keep the D2 MAF in line, I'd keep the RR injectors unless the plugs for them were different, use the D2 sensors and exhaust manifolds but maybe some high flow cats and a better muffler. Does the 92 have a distributor or coils? That might be an issue if it's got a distributor. If it does, you can probably flip the supercharger/intake/rotating assembly to the 4.0 block and achieve the same effect, but if it has coil ignition then there wouldn't be any need (probably).

Again, I'm not come tell familiar with the differences. There may be some fatal difference such as having a distributor or a sensor mount being different that would require you to use the 4.0 block, but either way it shouldn't be *too* hard of a swap. Probably.

Alex,

Thanks for the detailed response. Yes it has the distributor in the front and it runs very strong. Heck If I can just somehow use this supercharger with the 4.0 I wouldnt mind swapping it..but it looks like shes gonna have to go in altogether.

Looking at the engines they look identical until we run into the pullies, distributor. Ughh...I cant let this supercharger go...no noo noooo

Old 07-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Mace
Hello,

Having owned a RRC and a Discovery at the same time I would do the head gaskets on the DII and have two drivers. I sold my RRC and regret it. DII's are cool and all and I still have mine but it just doesn't compare to the absolute radness of a RRC.

The headgasket job really isn't that difficult and if I recall when I did mine it cost me around $750 and that includes getting the heads machined and valve job.

A running RRC is a rare bird and one with a blower!? Man, that is cool. As far as a motor swap I am sure you could rig it up but your RRC would be without a heart and your DII probably wouldn't be a %100 reliable daily driver.

So to recap, I would go for having two cool running trucks. The RRC being the radder of the two of course.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

The 3.9 crank will not run the 4.0 oilpump. So the distrutor it have to be kept. The dii tranny wont work without a tbps, so you would have to use a D1 tranny. Leave the rrc alone and put a 4.6 in the d2