Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Disco I Electrical problem? Say it aint so!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:11 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Disco I Electrical problem? Say it aint so!

Hey there everyone,

I have a 1994 Disco V8I which is having an electrical issue that I'm hoping one of you can help with.

My power windows, cruise control, and rear windshield wiper are not working. I checked the owners manual and it says that these 3 components are all on fuse #18. I checked Fuse 18, and it appeared that there was nothing wrong with it.

All I really care about is cruise control, as I'm going on a rather lengthy road trip soon.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

TIA

Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

does your cruise button light up?

I would check every fuse in each fuse box for a place to start.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:16 PM
4wd Low

I checked all the fuses and they all look fine.
The cruise control button does not light up.

What next?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the cruise control button gets power from the battery with both fuse boxes in line, if the main cruise power button is not lighting up then your problem is in one of the fuse boxes, I would assume that since all of these items that aren't working run off 1 fuse then that would be your problem (either the fuse itself or the wiring associated with it) I would pull and replace the fuse (even if it looks ok cause looks can be deceiving) then maybe try to somehow clean the contacts where the fuse plugs in on both sides (maybe some electronics parts cleaner from radio shack and working the fuse in there a bit). That would be where I would start, then start testing wires for power.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does this thing have an MFU? I know on mine, all of those things run off the MFU. Do a search for multifunction unit. I posted the diagnoatics for it on here somewhere...

Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Replace the fuse, it may look fine and still be blown, it is a $.02 item, replace it and report back.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Spike, replace the fuse even though it looks fine. (Ouch, that hurt to say. LOL)

Old 05-28-2009, 07:36 PM
4wd Low

Hey guys, thanks for the help thus far.

I replaced the fuse with the one for the power windows (which I know works) and still none of the 3 items worked. I checked terminals where you put the fuse into and they look fine too.

What's my next step?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Do you have a voltmeter?

Check to see if you have 12 volts relative to ground (chassis) at both ends of both fuses.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:06 PM
4wd Low

Not sure when this happened. At some point during all the testing and posting on the forum the power windows and rear windshield wiper decided to work. I didn't notice, because like I said before I was only interested in the cruise control, so that's the only one I was testing (stupid me). So the cruise control button doesn't light up and overall doesn't work, but the power windows and rear windshield wiper now works.

@Old Gold
I only have one of those crappy cheapo voltmeters that just tells you whether or not there's power going to what you touch it with. Doesn't give any voltage readings, just if it's "Hot" or not. I checked both ends of the fuse and they do have power going to them, not sure what voltage though, and unfortunately I have no way of checking ATM.

Quick Reply: 1994 Disco I Electrical problem? Say it aint so!