Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Misfire, Stumbling, and Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
On a DI you dont have to remove the intake manifold, you will need to loosen the fuel and heater lines on the right side of the engine to remove that one.
But running a engine with the valve covers off will be alittle messy but not by much.
Back in the old days that is what you had to do to adjust the rocker arms before self adjusting lifters.
You removed the valve cover, started the engine and with it idling you used a feeler gauge and snugged up your rocker arms until they were where they were supposed to be.
Hi Spike,
my tick is coming from the left side. the IM is directly over this with the intake going through to the filter on the same side.

So do I take the upper IM off, take the valve cover off and then put the IM back to run it. Sorry I don't really understand this as the throttle cable etc is all connected to this as well.
________
MatureLina

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Remove the intake tubing and whatever else you need to remove/loosen and then remove the valve cover bolts and wiggle the valve cover off of the engine.
Dont be afraid to put some muscle into it when you take it off.
Just make sure there is nothing in the way that can get hung up/bent/broken.

If you have a tick I would not remove the valve covers until I tried other things first, it could just be a exhaust leak at the manifold, this happens to every single LR in the world.
If it is a exhaust leak it could be a loose bolt, cracked manifold, bad gasket..all very cheap to fix.
A exhaust leak right at the head can sound like a bad lifter.
Bad catalytic converters can sound like a rod knock.
Clogged oil passages can cause oil starvation to the lifters and rocker arms and cause a tick.
Also to thin of a motor oil can cause a tick after it gets hot because it gets to thin.

I know you and I talked about this before but I dont remember what you wound up doing, but for you you need a good thick motor oil because you live where it gets hot.

Last edited by Spike555; 11-03-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Remove the intake tubing and whatever else you need to remove/loosen and then remove the valve cover bolts and wiggle the valve cover off of the engine.
Dont be afraid to put some muscle into it when you take it off.
Just make sure there is nothing in the way that can get hung up/bent/broken.

If you have a tick I would not remove the valve covers until I tried other things first, it could just be a exhaust leak at the manifold, this happens to every single LR in the world.
If it is a exhaust leak it could be a loose bolt, cracked manifold, bad gasket..all very cheap to fix.
A exhaust leak right at the head can sound like a bad lifter.
Bad catalytic converters can sound like a rod knock.
Clogged oil passages can cause oil starvation to the lifters and rocker arms and cause a tick.
Also to thin of a motor oil can cause a tick after it gets hot because it gets to thin.

I know you and I talked about this before but I dont remember what you wound up doing, but for you you need a good thick motor oil because you live where it gets hot.
Thanks Spike,
I was going to change the oil with what was recommended here with some MMO but don't seem to have it here. So I put an additive in - can't remember which - it was one that was supposed to be gentle. Not a flush. But like I said earlier I'm impatient! hasn't made any difference yet but I've only done about 100 km since. by the sound of it most of these take 500 to 1,000 before anything frees up.
I guess now that I am doing all my own work I'm paying more attention to the sounds it makes - I don't like that sound!

So to trouble shoot this what is the best way?
Start with the exhaust? Do you need soem sort of tester for this or do you just go and replace all the gaskets?

I does seem to be comming from under the rocker cover towards the rear but i guess that is very close to the last exhaust as well.
________
Live Sex

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the heads are clogged, will they need to come off and be hot tanked, or will I be able to clean it with carb cleaner?

So I'm basically looking to see if the oil is pooling and if the valves aren't opening and closing as they should.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could the head gasket have blown in between two cylinders killing the compression and making a noise similar to valve tick? I had this happen on a different make, similar symptoms.