Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Discovery with a miss?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Affirmative. (about the .org)

I'd love to be asking questions Spike but I can't seem to get my hands on a Discovery.

Last edited by ChanchoVerde; 08-22-2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Dealing with some flakey folks over the past week has worn me out.

Worked with one guy that gave me the VIN so that I could run a history check. I came back with the info on the accident that the Disco was in and this guy still denied the vehicle ever having an accident. You must be kidding!

Worked with another guy that accepted my offer with "Come and pick it up". I asked for the VIN before going any further and he never responded.

Working with a couple right now that have a Disco that needs a front bumper with fog lights, a rear bumper and lights, one headlight, one turn signal and a left rear quarter panel with brake light. The vehicle is great other than that.

They are asking the KBB value (fair condition) of the vehicle and are not considering what it would cost the buyer to bring the vehicle back up to par. I subtracted the cost of parts and paint and made an offer. No response? I don't get it. Just to bring the Disco up to a "good condition" status would cost a minimum of $2,000 which would wind up being more than the vehicle is worth.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:08 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChanchoVerde
Dealing with some flakey folks over the past week has worn me out.

Worked with one guy that gave me the VIN so that I could run a history check. I came back with the info on the accident that the Disco was in and this guy still denied the vehicle ever having an accident. You must be kidding!

Worked with another guy that accepted my offer with "Come and pick it up". I asked for the VIN before going any further and he never responded.

Working with a couple right now that have a Disco that needs a front bumper with fog lights, a rear bumper and lights, one headlight, one turn signal and a left rear quarter panel with brake light. The vehicle is great other than that.

They are asking the KBB value (fair condition) of the vehicle and are not considering what it would cost the buyer to bring the vehicle back up to par. I subtracted the cost of parts and paint and made an offer. No response? I don't get it. Just to bring the Disco up to a "good condition" status would cost a minimum of $2,000 which would wind up being more than the vehicle is worth.
With that kind of damage I would also suspect the frame could be damaged. I wouldn't even waste your time on that truck. There are other Discos out there and you don't need to be buying a problem child just because it's cheap. That kind of thing would put a terrible taste in your mouth toward Rovers. Be patient and keep looking, the right truck will find you.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Rock Crawling

You're right. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It took me 9 months to find the right truck for me.
Where do you live?
Whats your budget?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Rock Crawling

I live in Northwest Arkansas which is fairly close to some major metropolitan areas. I am looking in Dallas, Oklahoma City and Kansas City. My budget for the Disco is $2,000.

I have found several good deals but have come up about 500 short on each of them. My only good option thus far has been a '97 Disco in Kansas City with 115,000 miles on it, a few rust spots in the doors and a miss in the engine. The seller started at $1,500 and when I declined, he came back last Friday at $1,250.

Other than that, I am just looking for the perfect match for my ability and my wallet. I want to work on it and learn but I don't want to swim into the deep end on the first go around.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Team Owner

Well those two rust spots are going to be every DI you find.
The body panels are aluminum, except the roof, but if youi can see it is is aluminum.
Where the body skin and the sub frame meet are common corrosion points.
2 dissimilar metals touching causes corrosion.
Mine truck has this and I am going to fix it before winter.
Another common spot is if you open the front doors and look at the bottom door hinge, just below that is another corrosion spot.
The front of the roof, where it slopes just above the windshield, if it gets hit with stones and the paint gets chipped that too will rust, touch up paint will take care of it.
With a budget of only $2000 you have your work cut out for you, but you can find one.
Cruise used car lots and the trade in lots of new car dealers.
Also find the auto auction in your area.
Dont let the miles on any of them scare you, mine had 152,change when I bought it.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, I know I don't have a lot but I have seen plenty of opportunities in my price range. It will just take some looking. Thanks for the feedback Spike.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Team Owner

Dont get discouraged, also check repo lots.
In the mean time if you can keep saving money and learning about the trucks so that you will better know what to look for and expect.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Will do.

Quick Reply: 1997 Discovery with a miss?