Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st place for self inflicted stupidity, coolant system issue now

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st place for self inflicted stupidity, coolant system issue now

Hello all. Ive been on this forum many times but this is my first time posting here. This is my 2nd land rover & I love these vehicles. Bought my first 1, 98 disco I, after getting out of the military. I was missing driving all the Military & Infantry vehicles. I used to get to drive. I've read many posts and thanks to all who share there knowledge as it has been of great help careing for my last ride. If anyone has any thoughts and suggestions on my current self inflicted issue I would greatly appreciate it. I just got a Rover, 2001 Disco II this time, but really screwed up big time and quite concerned. I had it shipped up from down south but never thought to test the coolant mix first. I live in very cold area. When the vehicle arrived I saw that the coolant resevoir was really low, I topped it off and started the vehicle I quickly realized the cooling system was frozen and shut it off. I didnt drive it, and thawed it completely out in my warm garage over night. It started right up and cooling system is flowing now. The vehicle temp is normal and no overheating. I only drove it for 1/4 mile. I did notice there are a few drops of antifreeze that are coming out from around hose claps and a little dripping on the ground behind the passenger tire area. Also a gushing sound from the passanger dash area when vehicle is in idle. I'm assuming because the system is still a little low and I'm assuming it needs bled now. The fluid in the over flow resevoir has slight movement in it also wehn vehicle is ideling. I was hoping it was just do to the coolant returning from the bottom hose of the radiator. Im till wondering where all the coolant went before it arrived frozen. Hoping it just expanded and came out resevoir or by hose clamps before freezing up more. Im no ace mechanic by any means but didnt let it run long and know better than chance drive it now till I make sure what ever was damaged is fixed. Other wise this will probably turn into dumb and dumer part II. What ever advice you can give me would be extremely appreciated. My phone # is ***-***-**** . This was a really stupid error on my part not thinkin about the coolant mixture before having it shipped considering Fla is a warmer climate and its been extremely cold here. This is what I was thinking I should do, have done, and or replace/check. I have a great local independant mechanic who has helped me for years, he is resonable and I can supply the parts for whatever I need. He isnt really a Rover guy though. My last Rover I drove for several years and only had to change a waterpump which I did myself. I have seen that there are a lot of very experienced knowledgeable people on here. Whatever advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to be a cheap skate and cut corners. I want to do this right and do whats best to make 100% sure its fixed properly before I even consider driving my family around. This is what I was thinking I should do?? 1) Top off/ bleed cooling system. Pressure test it. Find leaks. Drain and flush entire system, replace thermostat, Replace all hoses and hose clamps, pressure test again, and do a combustion gas in coolant test. Also hope and pray the water pump didnt get damaged, the head gaskets are not damaged, and the head is not cracked. I didnt run the vehicle long but it sounded normal other than the gushing sound from coolant under the dash while in idle. The oil on dip stick is super clean, no overheating, and the heater in the vehicle runs nice and hot. There seems to be a lot of pressure in the hoses though so I was thinking I should replace the resevoir cap incase its not working properly. Please let me know what you would recomend. I'm hoping for the best and prepared to deal with the worst. I think this might out me at 1st place for the day on the forum for self inflicted stupidity? UGGG. Thank you very much, Merv "Rangers & Rovers lead the way"

Attached Thumbnails 1st place for self inflicted stupidity, coolant system issue now-my-mini-tank.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-29-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Sent you a PM.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is your 'Enter' key broken also?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM
8th Gear

Thanks Disco Mike. I never got your pm though. Thanks anyway

Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM
8th Gear

Primussucks.. Why post if you got nothing good to say? The transportation company was suppose to have the vehicle delivered in 2 days and at the time there was no extreme cold weather issues so it never even crossed my mind regarding the fact that people in FLA like to use water instead of coolant. The motor blew on the transportation companys big rig and the 2 day delivery turned into 2 weeks. Just in time for extreme cold weather across the east. Using transporters with good reputation doesnt always mean on time delivery. Thanks for the wise crack.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Rock Crawling

cause i couldn't get past the first line without my eyes crossing. I suspect others would have the same problem.

same with your 2nd post.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I blocked your phone number, bad idea to post on here, identity theft, etc. You should be fine, these vehicles have freeze plugs. Replacing some of them is pretty hard if they pop (back of block). Water pump is not bad to do. HGs, if bad, probably already were. Monitor your temp with a scanner or ultra gauge, the oem heat gauge will read 50% from 135 - about 245F.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-29-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM
8th Gear

Savannah Buzz, thank you very much for looking out for me with the phone block and for the reply and info regarding my ordeal. Much appreciated. Next time I post I'll keep it simple and short as well. Savannah is a great town !! I was stationed there before getting shipped off to the front line. Thanks again & have a good evening. Merv

Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 PM
8th Gear

primussucks, I'm sure your absolutely right and I do agree. I'll keep it simple, short, and to the point in the future. I got no problem admiting I'm not perfect. I see your a big shot Sr member so I'm very sorry to have offended you with my stressed out high winded message. If slamming people in distress makes you a better man though then more power to you guy. Have a nice evening and I wish you the best of luck with your next nightmare.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling

honestly have zero idea what a "sr member" is or means... i mostly cruise this forum and offer some advice when i have some...

no need to apologize, i was just offering my advice on the thread.... no idea what the body of the message was about other then the title.

i do have some other advice.
just because someone has a title, in a forum or in life, doesn't mean a damn thing...

Quick Reply: 1st place for self inflicted stupidity, coolant system issue now