Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st place for self inflicted stupidity, coolant system issue now

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Ranger Merv - I suspect you were at Hunter or Ft Stewart?

The term Sr Member denotes the number of posts a member has made. Does not imply anything about age, knowledge, charm school, etc.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Does not imply anything about age, knowledge, charm school, etc.
Bingo!
None of which apply to me.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fluid in the over flow resevoir has slight movement in it also wehn vehicle is ideling.
Normal

and a little dripping on the ground behind the passenger tire area
Normal, If its leaking out of the overflow tank.

Also a gushing sound from the passanger dash area when vehicle is in idle. I'm assuming because the system is still a little low and I'm assuming it needs bled now
Yup, needs to be bled properly.

The coolant could have just been low before you go it. I see LRs at dealer auctions all the time, it is not uncommon to find a disco with very low coolant. My 03 Disco came without much coolant when it was shipped to me. As Savannah said, verify the temps with a scan gauge. I check all my cars after each oil change to make sure their temps are normal as a precaution. The gauges are useless in a lot of cars, they don't tell you something is wrong until its too late.

What you plan on doing to it is the right way to go. Do all the things to the cooling system that you listed in your first post to track down any issues in the cooling system. However, from the description of your first drive in it, I would say things seem to be operating normally aside from a few leaks and the air in the heater core. More investigation is needed to make sure everything is tip top of course . Good luck!

Overlooking things like coolant mixture happens to the best of us. I know pilots I've flown with who have made emergency landings because they did not check how much fuel they had...

Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Important to also have the coolant system bleed.
The coolant bottle unclips.
I just unclip it.
And I put a roll of 1/2 used shop towel under the bottle

Take the cap off.
Run engine at 1,100 RPM for about 10 minutes.
Put in any antifreeze then to bring it up to the fill line.
Cap back on.
Clip in bottle
and you are bleed.

This is essentially the way a discovery I is bleed - all the time as the bottle is the highest point.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You should be ok, just get the system flushed out WITH DISTILLED WATER and put in fresh GREEN coolant mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED WATER. The caps aren't me yelling, just emphasizing the important parts.

Regarding the non-return structure of your post, I felt it conveyed a sense of desperation. Seemed like you were freaked out when you wrote the post and niether you nor your writing were composed. Almost like the tone and inflection of your voice came through. Freaked out and desprate is all part of the Rover experience.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

We can't all use the APA style manual to compose our dissertations. Military comm systems prefer data, not punctuation and wasted spaces. Bandwidth on a poly frequency burst encoded uplink still has limits, even if all you can see looks like random noise on a spectrum analyzer.

We deal with members on this site that have English as a secondary language, people that use just a cell phone with built in word substitution, plus abbreviation; plus Red Bull, plus vodka, and even "smoke".

To me, the more info and involved the post is, the better. As compared to my Rover overheated - WTF?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good evening. I just wanted to thank you all very much for your input and advise. This forum is truely awsome. Finding people willing to go out of there way to help others seems hard to find now a days. I have some parts on order now, including a new 180 t-stat & I'm loaded with much more needed knowledge & confidence to get through this and drive on !! Justin at Lucky 8 has factory reservoir caps for $14 if any one is in need. Cheapest around. Going to tackle that 60k service list after I'm in the clear with this 1st obstackle course. Thanks again !

Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 PM
8th Gear

Thanks again Savannah Buz for your support also. Yes I was at Ft Stewart. 70% swap & spent 80% of our time in it. Some good times though. Especially when we went to your town Savannah !

Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 PM
8th Gear

Thanks again Disc Mike for the call the other day. Going great so far !!! Followed your instructions & got rest of air out of system after topping off cold and driving couple different times. I did a coolant pressure test and found 6 leaks. Vehicle already had all new hoses but factory clips needed replaced. 4 were leaking. Replaced all with screw type. Also found tiny leak from small crack on bottom of coolant reservoir. New reservoir on the way. 6th leak was hardest to diagnose and find do to no coolant leak. It's right were the radiator bleed pipe connects to that little nipple that you warned me to be careful of that sticking out from the radiator on the upper corner by the mass air flow sensor. It has a factory clamp on it also and air is leaking from it a little. I haven't tried to replace that little clamp yet but since eliminating all the coolant leaks from the other clamps the coolant hasn't gone down enough to even notice. Ive been driving daily and its till sititng on the full line. Im 100% sure Reservoir leaks but it's a tiny tiny drip. New one on the way and new cap. I've been driving it a little bit every day. Its a super clean vehicle. Looks like I got really lucky considering what could have happened when coolant started to freeze. . No signs of radiator,water pump, or gasket issues, and no temp issues. I'll get the tester anyway per your suggestion. Going to put new reservoir & cap on, replace factory bleed pipe clamp, pressure test again, and if all good I'll drain system and get that 180 t-stat in and some new coolant. If any other suggestion for this phase please let me know. I'm open for more great advise. Vehicle sounds and drives great but going to have the drive shaft & u joints all inspected as well and rubuild if needed as suggested. And get on that maintenance list !! Thanks again for all the knowledge this forum has to offer including the free manual. I've saved a bundle of $$ already just by self diagnosing some basic issues that appeared to be really bad and could have turned into nightmares. Thanks

Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

After all this -
you may now want to check the temperature of your cooling system.
If you are at idle and the AUX fan comes on
with the A/C off - that's not a good thing.

My truck runs HOT and I am now going to replace the radiator and see how that goes.

If you can buy an UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool
then that would be a good thing to monitor your coolant system temps with.

EOT.
EOM.

secret computer time sharing system for the curious:

telnet jeffreyfall.com 2020

then try systat
command

Quick Reply: 1st place for self inflicted stupidity, coolant system issue now