Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" or 3", 32" or 33" tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 08:40 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2" or 3", 32" or 33" tire

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to Moab with a family member in their Jeep. I'm gonna take on some pretty tough tracks (Hell's Revenge and other tracks rated as sixes). I currently have 32" tires on my car and a 2" OME lift. I'm going to replace the springs with HD versions, and want to ask if you guys did it again, would you go with a 2" lift or the OME 3" lift? I suppose the advantage to the 3" lift is I can fit 33" tires. Is this worth it? Does the extra inch make a big difference? It definitely looks better. I may hang onto my 32" tires (265/75r16) for a bit, would that look odd on such a large lift? I've also heard mentions of goodies from RTE for extra articulation, any recommendations? Should I just bite the bullet and buy one of those expensive RTE lift kits and big tires?

Thanks,
Jacob

Last edited by jacobmstein; 12-08-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jacobmstein
Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to Moab with a family member in their Jeep. I'm gonna take on some pretty tough tracks (Hell's Revenge and other tracks rated as sixes). I currently have 32" tires on my car and a 2" OME lift. I'm going to replace the springs with HD versions, and want to ask if you guys did it again, would you go with a 2" lift or the OME 3" lift? I suppose the advantage to the 3" lift is I can fit 33" tires. Is this worth it? Does the extra inch make a big difference? It definitely looks better. I may hang onto my 32" tires (265/75r16) for a bit, would that look odd on such a large lift? I've also heard mentions of goodies from RTE for extra articulation, any recommendations? Should I just bite the bullet and buy one of those expensive RTE lift kits and big tires?

Thanks,
Jacob
Ive had RTE 2” coils with 32”s and 3” coils with 33’s. Go 3” and never look back. I’ve said it 1000x, going 3” opens up so many options for tires, bumpers etc.

Word of caution about going with HD spring rates. I went HD and should have gone medium. If you don’t spend the majority of the time with several hundred pounds of gear the HD springs ride very rough.

The following users liked this post:
jacobmstein (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 04:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Frank's right. 3" on 33s is the way to go, and go MD unless you've got a good amount of gear in the back and a steel bumper w/ winch in the front.

jacobmstein (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 06:30 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Frank's right. 3" on 33s is the way to go, and go MD unless you've got a good amount of gear in the back and a steel bumper w/ winch in the front.
Hmm, are you guys running 285/75r16s? Do you have to trim anything? Also, what other mods have you done then? Extended brake lines, anything else? Also, I do have a steel bumper with a winch, so do I need HD? Maybe just HD front?

Last edited by jacobmstein; 12-09-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:35 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

i had hd springs they were not bad i didnt find the ride too bad,
what mods would you have to do for a 3 inch lift ??

Old 12-09-2020, 08:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 820 Likes on 538 Posts

Having been to moab on both 265 and 285s I wouldn't worry too much unless you plan on tackling something harder than hells revenge (ie moab rim). If you have a good rear bumper you'll be fine as the *** end likes to drag off everything out there. Also, almost everything out there has a bypass or large variations in line options if it's truly a big obstacle.

I'd run 3" RTE springs, extend the brake lines and abs lines, disconnect the sway bars and either tire size will look great. 285s on the alloys may not need trimming but I needed to trim running the steelies and my suspension was toast when I got them which didn't help the issue.

jacobmstein (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 08:59 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by whowa004
Having been to moab on both 265 and 285s I wouldn't worry too much unless you plan on tackling something harder than hells revenge (ie moab rim). If you have a good rear bumper you'll be fine as the *** end likes to drag off everything out there. Also, almost everything out there has a bypass or large variations in line options if it's truly a big obstacle.

I'd run 3" RTE springs, extend the brake lines and abs lines, disconnect the sway bars and either tire size will look great. 285s on the alloys may not need trimming but I needed to trim running the steelies and my suspension was toast when I got them which didn't help the issue.
Thanks. I have 10 year old (full tread and not cracked) BFG KOs in 265/75r16. I'd like to replace them with 33" MTs anyway since wheeling in GA my tires get full of mud and clay. I do have a good steel rear bumper. So I have a few more questions, RTE or OME springs? I'm gonna keep my OME shocks. RTE sounds like the way to go? Also, by disconnect the sway bars you mean just take them off?

Also, I'm going in 5 months, so I have time to put some money aside. Is it worth locking the rear (and eventually the front)? I don't like the speed I have to take some obstacles when my wheels lift. I should probably get a CDL linkage from a D1 first as my truck is MY2000.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:10 AM
Pro Wrench

My OME set up came with my truck and was pretty tired (drove/wheeled the crap out of it for 2 years still) and didn't have a lot of complaints other than it was very much not 3" of lift anymore. I've been pleased with my RTE springs. First few trips I only had a CDL and it did just fine. I have a locker in the rear now and it just makes things a little easier. However, I go in Feb usually so there is some snow or ice so the locker really helps on say Top of the World (trail is bunch of shelfs/ledge and bumpy as hell) but it's at a higher elevation and a little outside of town. The rock out there is insanely grippy so a CDL and working TC you won't have any issues. I would remove the sway bars once you get to town if you are driving it out there. You have to extend the brake lines and abs lines if you do this on a 3" lift! I would remove the sway bars at least once before you go as mine have always been a nightmare when doing suspension work (had to cut them out of my white one..). Or you can move your front links to the rear and get LR3 links in the front and that will free up a ton of articulation and still keep the road manners.

jacobmstein (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:25 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by whowa004
My OME set up came with my truck and was pretty tired (drove/wheeled the crap out of it for 2 years still) and didn't have a lot of complaints other than it was very much not 3" of lift anymore. I've been pleased with my RTE springs. First few trips I only had a CDL and it did just fine. I have a locker in the rear now and it just makes things a little easier. However, I go in Feb usually so there is some snow or ice so the locker really helps on say Top of the World (trail is bunch of shelfs/ledge and bumpy as hell) but it's at a higher elevation and a little outside of town. The rock out there is insanely grippy so a CDL and working TC you won't have any issues. I would remove the sway bars once you get to town if you are driving it out there. You have to extend the brake lines and abs lines if you do this on a 3" lift! I would remove the sway bars at least once before you go as mine have always been a nightmare when doing suspension work (had to cut them out of my white one..). Or you can move your front links to the rear and get LR3 links in the front and that will free up a ton of articulation and still keep the road manners.
Hmm, I wonder if anybody sells a sway bar disconnect kit. Probably the best option. Also, have you done Hell's Gate in a Disco? I think I should probably stay away from stuff like that. Not sure.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:52 AM
Pro Wrench

Sure have. Stock LR3s have done it. It’s not that hard but line choice is paramount. One in our group took a little dirt nap with a poor line choice way before the crux.

someone makes some disconnects I think L8 has them? For the money I’d try the LR3 front links and see how it does. That’s my plan for my wife’s disco just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

edit: can’t get video to upload but I have a video up on my Instagram: whowa004

Attached Thumbnails 2" or 3", 32" or 33" tire-8e34b1b4-d66b-4aec-85e5-d25179deccdb.jpeg  

Last edited by whowa004; 12-09-2020 at 12:03 PM.
jacobmstein (12-09-2020)

Quick Reply: 2" or 3", 32" or 33" tire