Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-Part Question: Squealing noise coming from automatic locks and turn signal bulb???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:49 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-Part Question: Squealing noise coming from automatic locks and turn signal bulb???

I own a 2002 Disco Westminister:

Hey guys, I know that my title sounds a little wierd, but I just had to replace my rear driver's side turn signal bulb (the amber lens on the bumper). I was first alerted to this when the left side blinker went into hyper-mode and was blinking doubletime... so I checked the bulb and sure enough it was burnt out. I found the a replacement bulb at NAPA. Installed the bulb and things are working great, problem solved right? Well, I am curious to know how serious or important it is to use the exact OEM or spec bulb. The left side is now slightly brighter than the right. This could be due to the left side being a brand new bulb...

Second: there is a funny squeal coming from, what seams to be the automatic locks. I first noticed the noise when I was testing the old and new bulbs when investigating the blinker issue. Is there a solenoid that can fail here? I used to drive a VW Passat with automatic locks and a solenoid went out and the trunk wouldn't unlock. Could this happen with the Disco? What could be making this funny squeal noise? You only hear the noise when you push the Lock button on the key, still locks just fine, but this noise just started and wondering if it might get worse.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR EXPERIENCE AND HELP WITH THIS! I AM GLAD TO BE A PART OF THE LAND ROVER COMMUNITY!!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamRover
The left side is now slightly brighter than the right. This could be due to the left side being a brand new bulb...
Yes. It really is that simple.

Well, I am curious to know how serious or important it is to use the exact OEM or spec bulb.
Disregard the armchair mechanics that say these trucks are something special to work on. There are very few things you need to use OEM parts for, and only then because no one else makes a suitable replacement, or the rebuilds are known to be of poor quality.

Save yourself some time, and just buy all the bulbs you need, replace them all at one time (because once one goes, it's probably about time the rest will as well), and everything will be evenly lit. Or don't. It will still be fine.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:31 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good comments! thank you for your help?

any ideas on the squeal noise when locking the Disco? the noise is loudest from the rear of the truck...

Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good comments! thank you for your help?

any ideas on the squeal noise when locking the Disco? the noise is loudest from the rear of the truck...
I (and probably anyone else reading) didn't mention anything about the squeal because there isn't enough information. Does this only happen when you are locking/unlocking the doors? From what you posted that's not really clear.

If it is only on locking/unlocking, you start by taking off the trim and lubricating the mechanism. Test it while open. If it's not that......you've pretty well narrowed it down.