Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20 liter jerry can holding brackets for D2 SD roof rack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:03 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin390
That CARB crap is just that, crap. Get the plain green ones a few extra seals a spout or two and call it a day.

awesome. The carb ones are more expensive but I see a bundle pack of the regular green cans for a fraction of the price so Ill go with the plain ones then. Thanks much.

Regarding those new style small fuel containers, I think they are ugly as all hell. In the near future when I get my **** together with my truck I will need 3 5 gallon jerry cans of fuel because the long distances between fuel stations, the cost of gas at those fuel stations and the limited options in those areas has convinced me that 3 jerry cans is a good investment. Plus they are traditional and true to the older expedetion vehicle setups Im most found of. I want to keep the heritage going with my truck.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I get the tradition part but what "new style small fuel containers" are you referring too? I couldn't find in the thread. I just realized you used Liters in your original post so you must be across the pond. The link I posted to the 15 Gallon low profile tank (which I'm assuming you are referencing) holds roughly 60 Liters of fuel..

Old 05-27-2015, 04:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will be adding about 135 pounds up top if my figures are correct. Not a major problem unless you make a sudden "lane change" type emergency maneuver trying to avoid the deer that jumps in front of you - then you will notice it. I wonder about the fastening system, having a fuel tank catapult off your car in an collision may be exciting.... Your fuel will get nice and toasty hot in the sun, too, it may need venting. Add a lift kit to your truck and you will make the situation somewhat worse with the extra weight up top. I am not trying to argue against your thinking, though, adding jerries up top causes the same problems, but at least they can be removed when you want to play a bit. We try and attach the jerries with rated, approved appliances on rated, approved roof racks that address most of the safety issues, or put them on our trailer sides. Please just make sure that you are not causing any safety issues with what you propose.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have used the word "permanent". The tank is designed to be on the top deck of a boat, so direct sun and ventilation are accounted for. It has four slots on it specifically for tie straps. There pretty easy to see in this picture:

If you used four 2" tie straps to secure that to the roof rack it's not going anywhere, even with impact. Plus in this case it is removable.

The only reason I was looking at this was after seeing a disco with four jerry cans on top, wow, they are high and probably add so much extra drag you'll need them to offset the extra fuel burn

This low profile concept help in that department and is one container for 15 gallons with an easy gravity feed hose. No need to unlock bulky/heavy jerry cans while standing on the rear ladder.

Last edited by caymandrew; 05-27-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:41 PM
TReK

Nope I live in the US. Some sites that sell jerry cans use liters in the description. Safety is a no brained. The purpose of this thread is not to determine weather to use standard jerry cans on my roof or not but rather what is the best and safest method for securing 3 full 5 gallon jerry cans to my SD roof rack. Fortunatly people have been storing these cans on the roofs of their vehicles for a long *** time so its not a new concept. I'm not worried about weight, if I was I would not be using a roof rack or HD front bumper or any other things to add to weight. Slow speeds, in the non passing lane and careful driving along with a really good mounting setup for my jerry cans should make my trip a safe and fun experience. For the record I don't intend to unmount the cans for refueling. They have funnels that you attach to the can and its long enough to reach down to your fuel door. Great for quick easy fill ups.

I found a picture of a interesting jerry can mount. A dual mount to be specific. Found a website for the manufacturer and sent them an email. Its one of a kind from what I can tell and it looks like it would be perfect for my needs. I'll upload the picture later tonight. Maybe other venders carry it.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:29 PM
TReK
Exclamation

Name:  b323f2b6fa57cd3a5021bde59f0eaf0b_zpsehnjqo2a.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  31.3 KB

Here is the picture I was talking about. I guess a company called Mojave Off Road sells them. Problem is I emailed them a couple days ago and still have not heard back from them. Although I need a total of 3 jerry cans, this device would be perfect. I would likely buy two of these and who knows maybe I could invest in 4 Jerry cans or I could buy 1 nato water storage can of same size. Should they not get back to me, does anybody where else I may buy these jerry can mount?

Old 05-28-2015, 12:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

That's nice.
When the siphon attachment goes on there I assume it has a dip tube, so it drains the can to the bottom? Would suck to have to take the whole can off the top to empty it, only to have to put it back up.

I don't know where sells them, but I bet someone does.
Originally Posted by TRIARII

Here is the picture I was talking about. I guess a company called Mojave Off Road sells them. Problem is I emailed them a couple days ago and still have not heard back from them. Although I need a total of 3 jerry cans, this device would be perfect. I would likely buy two of these and who knows maybe I could invest in 4 Jerry cans or I could buy 1 nato water storage can of same size. Should they not get back to me, does anybody where else I may buy these jerry can mount?

Old 05-28-2015, 12:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts
Old 05-28-2015, 02:29 AM
TReK

Good question. I know their exists cheap pumps that you manually pump a couple times and fluid will start sucking up through. Not sure if they have anything like that for this application.