Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 DII - Various Issues - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 03:07 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 DII - Various Issues - Need Help

I have owned this baby for 8 months and love it. I'm 57 and want it to last a long time so I can retire with it in tact.

I bought it not realizing it had an internal coolant leak. They must have known; another story. $4500 later the heads had been redone and 3 tie rods changed. The heads had been done 18 months before by an LR dealer that used silicone to help the oil pan gaskets. I had all lifters changed as I had an intermittent tick and it was cheaper to do it then than wait.

1 ... I still have light ticking which I believe are the fuel injectors. Is this normal or a sign of wear on the injectors?

2 ... The ABS-TC-HD lights are on. Yes I have a brake squeel. The brakes were done by an LR dealer a year ago by the previous owner. I have all the bills.

3 ... I have the same clunk I've read in other posts; ease up and then accelerate. Mechanic says the ujoints are all OK. What should be checked next? This noise started after the mechanic coincidentally changed all fluids. The manual says full synthetic. Could the use of non-synthetic or semi-syn cause the noise inside the driveline equipment?

4 ... My wife burned her feet on the passenger side with very hot water dripping. AC was on. Mechanic resealed a firewall grommet. I doubt this was it. However the floor under the fr pass seat is soaked with water. There is a metal container under the pass dash; could this drip hot water?

5 ... With weight in the back, the air suspension gives out while the truck sits parked. If empty, she sits high. Is this normal or a sign of something starting to go?

6 ... Key FOBs are weak; have to be very close to the truck and sometimes press 2 or 3 times to unlock. Is this a receiver problem in the truck or the fact the FOB batteries are dieing? Can I change the batteries in the FOBs? Is there a trick to opening the FOBs? Anyone know which batteries are needed?

7 ... Rear sunroof works when it wants to. Appears to be a bad connection. Any suggestions?

8 ... I know it's trivial, but is there a source for the wheel decals?

Thanks to all you enthusiasts that take the time to respond to psted issues.

By the way I live in Canada and my baby showed no signs of the cold bothering it. As for snow and traction; I'd have to be articulate like Winston Churchill to describe how well this puppy does in the snow and on ice, even though it has summer type Michelins on it. Just unbelievable.

Cheers, James

Old 08-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 2000 DII - Various Issues - Need Help

Send me a PM with your telephone number and I'll call you, this list is too long to try and type ouy.
Mike
Retired auto service manager
99D 2

Old 08-31-2006, 12:21 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same prob #4 can you tell me what the fix was?

Old 08-31-2006, 03:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thehrdway,

Most likely you have a leaking heater core. The A/C drains being plugged would not drip "Hot" water (only warm in real hot ambient temp environments). Check the carpeting for wetness and then rub your fingers together. Coolant gives you that "greasy" feeling as opposed to water.

Regards,

Mike McLaughlin
www.eurotekapg.com