Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Disco 2 might have a sliped sleeve?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the vacuum hose that goes from the top of the throttle body to the break booster. It has great vacuum. Is there another vac hose the break booster? I never touched the cam sensor or the crank sensor durring the job. I do however hear a bit of a ping or something on the passenger side. The obd reader is now giving me p1300, p0308, p0305, p0303, p0302, p0301. I just keep getting deeper and deeper in codes. I checked the belt, and it is correct. I wounder if I should take all of the vacuum off and start over......? Thanks for the suggestions.

Tom

Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, it is a D2, so all your brake hydraulic pressure is regulated by the ABS, and the ABS codes show up separately. Any other light on the dash? Any fuses or fuse links open in the underhood box or the passenger compartment fuse box?

From RAVE:

For normal brake operation, brake pedal movement is assisted by the brake servo assembly and transmitted to the
master cylinder assembly. The master cylinder assembly converts brake pedal movement to hydraulic pressure.
Primary and secondary brake pipe circuits supply the hydraulic pressure to the brakes via the ABS modulator: the
primary circuit supplies the front left and rear right brakes; the secondary circuit supplies the front right and rear left
brakes. Vacuum for the brake servo assembly is obtained from the engine inlet manifold (V8 models) or a vacuum
pump (diesel models), through a vacuum line and non return valve. To reduce operating noise, sleeving is installed
on some of the brake pipes in the engine compartment and the pipes are located in sprung pipe clips.
For all control functions, the ABS modulator regulates the hydraulic pressure to the brakes to control the speed of all
four wheels, either individually or in axle pairs. Operation of the ABS modulator is controlled by the Self Levelling and
Anti-lock Braking Systems (SLABS) ECU. The SLABS ECU also operates warning indications in the instrument pack
to provide the driver with status information on each function.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Overlanding

Well, no open fuses or anything of that sort. During the repair of the head gaskets, the only part of the breaks that I touched was the vac hose that goes from the throttle body to the booster. Do you think that the break problem and the misfires might have any correlation. I doubt it but then again. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Overlanding

I forgot to mention that the green s light on the dash for the sport mode came on and stayed on too.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Push the button and turn that off.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Overlanding

Not my proudest moment. Sorry for that.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Overlanding

OK......
I have checked everything that has been advised. All seems to be good. I did a compression test today and found that all off the cylinders have good compression ( 130-150 ) except cylinder five ( 0 ) compression. Before the head job the truck ran great. It never over heated no misfire, no nothing. Just a bad 02 censor. When the heads were off, I pressure tested the block and found no leaks. I had a valve job done with the heads being milled ( .0020 in ). I am now thinking that I have a valve stuck open. Could be push rod, lifter, valve spring, or exhaust valve. Please let give me any thoughts. When this is all over and this truck runs like the champ it is I am going to write up all the mistakes that I made so that all of the other nube's like me have a reference of things not to do. Thanks all
Tom

Old 10-21-2011, 05:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I vote pull the valve cover and see it the one of the push rods has come off, it's a little late; but it is aways good to put in the push rods before the valley cover gasket that way you can see that they have seated on the lifter. If your lucky it just a push rod if not it maybe a bent valve. I had a head come back that had a valve that would stick in the guide at full compression. Good luck

Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Overlanding

Thanks,
I had the push rods in before the valley gasket but I remember knocking a couple of them out while I was installing the gasket. I thought I got all of them back in but we will see. Going to get to it today after work. I will let you all know what I find.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Overlanding

Well,
I got the valve cover off and every thing looked fine. I turned the motor by hand and every thing moved the way it is supposed to. I took the rocker arm off and did a leak down test and cyl 5 held pressure like a champ. I did a compression check and cyl 5 had 150 pounds. That was great. I put the rocker arm back on and did a leak down test. All of the air went out the exhaust pipe. Did a compression check and cyl 5 held no air. What the hell. The rocker arm looks fine and when I look past the head I can see the lifter and it looks fine. All of the valves are the same hight. But when I put the rocker arm back on it compresis the exhaust valve just enough so that it will not hold any pressure. Can the lifter be stuck in the up posission just enough?

Quick Reply: 2000 Disco 2 might have a sliped sleeve?