Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Disco II Major Rebuild/Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RSPTex
So a few ways we could solve this is to do a few tests:

1. Measure the locations and depths of the holes cut in our different cranks and post them here.
2. Have the cranks tested for balancing. I'm already going to be getting a 4.6 crank and have a 4.0 crank, so I could have my machinist test that. I don't know what it would cost, but I'll check.
3. Give LR a holler and see if we can talk to one of their engineers.

Which are you up for? I'm good for all/any of the options. I want some definitive answers on this one, personally. I know other people have swapped 4.0s for 4.6 cranks and con rods, so I know it's possible, but it would be nice to know it's not going to die in a few months/years.
hey tex,

option #1. we know the cranks were balanced or they wouldn't have any holes drilled in them at all, with weight metal put in or not. but I'm not sure how measuring the holes or locations would tell us if the holes were drilled in the cranks to balance with all of the other parts attached or with just the crank alone. either way they would drill the holes to take away weight or to fill with metal to add weight.
I would figure it would be to balance the crank alone.

option #2. If you had the crank tested by itself and it is balanced, that would be good to know. but then you would probably have to have your flywheel checked by itself to see if it's balanced as well. but then at least we'd know.
but ...they would probably want to charge too much to do all of that.

option #3. give them a holler, can't hurt.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-25-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update:

I have pulled the driveshafts and transmission and transfer case!
My wife standing proudly in front of it:
Name:  IMG_1575_zps9242ed7c.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  152.5 KB

The drive shafts have been rebuilt before, but when I have new u-joints anyway, and I don't know how long ago they were rebuilt, I'll just rebuild them again. Not a big deal. The bolts/nuts weren't as bad to get off as the exhaust. I thought they would be. Maybe it was the 3 weeks of PB blasting that did it. I really don't like how all of the nuts are rounded by design for half of their width. Some were destroyed with vise grips, and all will be replaced by some happy grade 8 nuts.

The transmission/transfer case wasn't horrible to get out, but I certainly didn't have the best lifting equipment. I am making a mount for them out of 2x4's to go on the motorcycle lift. It couldn't quite get all the way up there to hold it, so I had to get a bit creative by stacking 2x4s and using multiple jacks and jack stands. I don't recommend that to anyone. really. At all.
Name:  IMG_1579_zps5f2dabef.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  115.1 KB

The tunnel is pretty wide open, though. And the engine bay is empty of almost anything that could get hurt by some pressure washing. I'll Cover all the things that are open or have open lines. I'm replacing all the branke lines and the fluid, so I'm not too concerned there, but still not great to get water in the pumps and what not.

I pulled my torque converter and compared it to throne I bought from an 03 D2. Identical in dimensions. Mine wasn't stock. I knew because it said BMW 37 on it.

Name:  IMG_1581_zps7387046d.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  109.8 KB

It was in good condition, and I never had issues with it, but I bought the replacement before looking to see if mine was stock. I just assumed it was. I now have an extra torque converter. Rickety Tick has first dibs, but PM me if you're interested.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Mudding

A few concerns I have when I pulled the transmission/t-case and drive shafts:
-Missing bolts/nuts between transmission and transfer case
-2 studs and nuts were used on the bottom cover of the t-case in place of the bolts.
-How does anyone get to the centering ball kit on the read diff to replace it? (as directed in Disco Mike's Major service)

Here's a question for people familiar with the 4.0 to 4.6 conversion:
-Are there any issues using a ZF4hp22 transmission with a 4.6 engine? RAVE mentions the transmission was upgraded to the ZF4hp24 to handle the additional torque. I am about to tear my 22 down and do a rebuild with 24 parts. Any issues anyone could see there?

Another one about the transfer case:
-While having it out, are there any parts on/in the transfer case that wear heavily or should be replaced as the "while I'm in there" mentality prevails? I am replacing the gaskets, but aside from that, I don't know.

Last edited by RSPTex; 07-29-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Mudding

I've ordered new Power Stop brake pads and Raybestos rotors. I already have excellent access to one side of the brakes and suspension, so I'll replace those and the brake lines this week, if I can. The other side will be just as easy. I'll just need to pull those wheels off.
Name:  IMG_1505_zps69cff9e8.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  107.6 KB

When removing the inside-cab transmission/t-case stuff, I realized how much I hate the cig adapter, so I'm replacing it and the ashtray in the back with AC120 and USB outlets. I already have all of the stuff to do it at work. I just need to wire it up and put the wiring through the firewall to the battery and to a different aux fuse.

I’m headed now to Fastenal to get replacement nuts/bolts for all the ugly stuff that I’ve pulled for the last month. I’d use the replacement rover parts, but I’d rather pay .50/piece for the bolts and have allen keyed fasteners than 5/piece for Philips head. I’ll get spec on all of it for everyone today and post up everything I find so we can all have cheap and effective replacement fasteners!

Does anyone else have/had a room or garage that looks like this:
Name:  IMG_1504_zpsa35fe6b2.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  98.1 KB

Old 07-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RSPTex
Does anyone else have/had a room or garage that looks like this:
Yep. Same thing with my rebuild. Parts everywhere.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Tex, good job! I wish I could get my wife to pick up a wrench. Maybe not...she'd probably hit me with it.
If you get any interest on the torque converter sell it. thanks for looking out for me though. I probably don't need it. don't know yet what I will need but am going to work on the engine first anyway.
Keep up the good work!

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-29-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here's the numbers on the connecting rods from the engines I have, so if you need to compare.

4.0 rods HRC 2383 SDF 74
4.6 rods HRC 2382 SDF 50

Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Yep. Same thing with my rebuild. Parts everywhere.
Rock on, Jared9220! Rock on!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 PM
Mudding

I pulled the prop shafts this monday and didn't notice something really weird about the front one. It is a Discovery 1 prop shaft, not a Discovery 2 prop shaft. I'm a bit worried about what damage it may have done and what issues there may be with keeping it.

I also decided to do 10-32 screws for pinning my sleeves instead of 1/4-28. I wanted more threads to be engaged, and a 32 pitch does that. I have a smaller bearing cross-sectional area, though, so I went crazy and I'm doing two screws per cylinder. I already have all 16 holes drilled and I'm waiting for an extended reach tap wrench to be able to tap all of the holes. I couldn't reach them with a normal short tap wrench.

Last update, I got my 4.6 Crankshaft with connecting rods and pistons, as well as my CDL linkage from Abran, today. They look great! I know I'll get higher compression using the 4.0 pistons, but will the added compression mean a head gasket leak is more likely to happen in the future, and what benefit would I have from the higher compression? If anyone knows the answers to those questions, please give me a holler! I'm dropping off the parts at the machine shop tomorrow to be polished/reground and checked for cracks. I'll drop off my block once I get the holes tapped and have the correct length screws in them.

Also, I just got it all new rotors and pads. I love shiny new parts!

Old 08-01-2014, 12:28 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably the best thread i have ever read on this forum.

Quick Reply: 2000 Disco II Major Rebuild/Overhaul