Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 disco2 ac problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2000 disco2 ac problem

2000 disco 2.

my ac after a charge blows cold for about 2 days then hot air. before doing anything checked the ac console and no error codes at all.

placed dye into the system, and saw some florescence in bolt at high pressure line to evaporator firewall....i see specks of florescence on tubing(hard line) but cant tell if i splashed the dye or the hard tube is leaking etc. i found another florescence at hose to hard line junction near grill for high pressure line.

where are common places for leakage....ie do the hard lines go bad????

Old 06-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

If you can see the dye where the bolts are, you may need new O-rings on those fittings. If you're losing all your refrigerant in 2 days time, that sounds like a good place to start. It's not likely the hard lines are leaking unless they're really corroded.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:04 AM
Three Wheeling

my problem is one of the bolts is on the firewall, high pressure near evaporator rear of engine.

that 10mm bolt is hard to get to and if i break something there...there is no recovery except to remove the engine.

has anybody done this befor removed lines from evaporator behind engine??
and also removed lines near condenser??

any tips?

thanks

Old 06-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I can't remember ever having any trouble with getting the bolts out of those. Do they feel stuck, or have you tried putting a wrench on them yet?
I personally haven't ever seen those bolts stuck or rusted in (and I live in the northeast). Either way, if it's leaking, you'll have to give it a try or send it to a shop and let them deal with it!

Old 06-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Three Wheeling

followup on leaking ac freon post 2000 disco2.

after weeks of tracking it down....i changed out the orings in the firewall...8mm bolts hard to reach used a flexible ratchet wrench etc.

the orings looked ok but replaced them anyway. i did have some florescence on the high pressure side bolt not the low, but since i was in there i replaced them both.

i also had florescence on the low pressure line joint...i replaced that oring.

now after that, it still leaked.

luckilly, i drove it with ac on, and parked it and i actually saw some green oil on ground and followed it upwards in the front of the car...

its hard to see where exactly it was coming from i figured it was the condenser itself as the fittings on the drier were no florescent...

i had to remove the grill, headlights, fan shroud, air box etc to get in there and trace the leak......

so earlier i was asking where common leaks might be and i think i found the spot....it was not the condenser, but eh kinked high pressure line that winds below airbox to the condenser...

land rover put tube brackets on the lines and i guess moisture/salt from front of car accumulates where bracket and high pressure line meet.

there is black foam put there around line to allow air to pass through grill, and it was moist with freon oil and dye.

i found a pinhole corrosion leak after i removed the line bracket holder 10mm.

now for repair...i could have removed that section of line and welded, or bought new piece...but it was late, and so i sanded that part down, brake cleaned it, then put jb weld on it and released pressure in the line.

after hardening, vacuumed and recharged.

even if it doesnt hold, i know now where my problem is......

so look for kinked high pressure line as the main culprit for leaking...