Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Discovery 2 power steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2000 Discovery 2 power steering issues

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any/all feedback on this issue. I have a 2000 disco with 92,200 miles and about a month ago i started leaking power steering fluid. I replaced the low pressure hose from the pump to the res, thinking that would be a cheap thing to try, and because the leak was coming from what looked like where the hose connected to the underneath the pump. sure enough it was still leaking down the hose so the dealer ship quoted me 750.00 for a reman pump and i had it done last week. (i would've done the job but its like 20 degrees out and my driveway is covered in p/s fluid). on my way home the steering was noticeably tight. it continued to get tighter during the week. finally a few days ago i noticed it was tight/binding while i was driving it then when i shut it off and come back to drive it 20 min later, i was barely able to turn the wheel. didn't touch the fluid level and it was low about a 1/4 inch in the res. Went back to the dealer ship this morning and they are telling me that it is the steering box! before leaving the dealer ship i reached under the low pressure hose(that i replaced new) and it was wet with p/s fluid and pointed out to the mgrr and tech and they said it was from the p/s box(which is below the pump) so some how it was defying gravity. they told me a steering box would run 2300.00 for new and 600 for reman. any help/advise on this would be very much appreciated

Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, you had no steering issues prior to taking your truck to the dealer, only a leaking hose. Did the power steering fluid level get low from the leak before you had the pump replaced? Had the PS fluid been changed at regular intervals prior to this repair? When the truck is idling, do you see the fluid moving around in the reservoir?

Just trying to ask the questions that will likely come up.

Could be coincidence, but if the steering was fine before the "repair", I'm a little suspect of their diagnosis.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
6th Gear

There was never a leaky hose. i just replaced it because i though it might have been the culprit and it was only 45$. Actually before the leak it was perfect. as I noticed the leak i was hearing the moan/groan and the steering began getting tight. A couple times I added power steering fluid in between the min/max level and it was still groaning but drivable and somewhat smooth until it leaked out again. i noticed it was leaking out faster and faster and that's when i took it in for the ps pmp replacemtn.

I always keep up on all the 30/60/90 mile sched maintenence as well as any other repairs. I purchased the truck new in 2000 and have always babied it.

before the pump was replaced the fluid was foamy and whirling. after the pump its just whirling, not foamy.

as of present, it is not groaning, but the steering is very tight and after driving it for a while and letting it sit for 10+ minutes it will not turn at a stand still, but is drivable while i'm moving. thanks again for any input on this..

Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry, my bad. You did state that it was a leaking pump.

Foamy PS fluid is indicative of a pump issue as it shouldn't be getting any air in the fluid during pressurization. I'm not sure if having air in the fluid running through the PS box will destroy it, but it can't be good. Hopefully someone else has had some experience with this.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

New pump about $250 for an Allmakes.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This sounds like a defective power steering pump. You might have to take it to a secondary place to get the diagnosis in writing then take it back to the original shop to get them to honor warranty. The steering boxes seldom fail and most of the time the leaks are from the joint between the two halves of the pump which runs down the hose on to the steering box.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM
6th Gear

thx 94svt50, i'm deff going to do that. its a shame that i'll end up blowing the whole day but it better then getting stuck with a bum p/s pump.