Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Discovery with ACE acting strange

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apologies, I was in a hurry. When I start up, no light. Drive a few block to a few miles, ACE light comes on. Then what I presume to be happening is the ACE rocking the vehicle. It has happened when I'm stopped and has happened at higway speeds. Seems to happen after hitting a small bump with only one side of the truck. When stopped I can hear a clunk every time time the truck rocks right or left.

I have never serviced the ACE. Thanks for your help!

Jon

Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Your symptoms are of low fluid in the ACE. Possibly a filter restriction. Check your fluid level. There is a known TSB for a loose banjo bolt on the pump. Also, you may have hit some debris in the water and damaged a line. The yellow warning turns off the to ACE to default for a safer ride. Do not drive if red warning comes on. Below is a cut & paste from a post I made four years ago.
-------

Check the banjo bolt underneath the air intake tube. It can become loose and release gobs of fluid. It's a known TSB for dealer mechanics. The banjo bolts on early ACE's weren't torqued properly at the factory and they will work loose and leak.

Loosen the air filter cover and lift up and over. You will see the banjo bolt right underneath; very, very easy to reach. You will see the hose from the banjo bolt lead up to the ACE reservior. Turn the truck on and you likely will see it drip while you watch. A simple fix, just retighten the bolt. Do not overtighten, or you will bend the washers sealing the banjo.

At the dealer, they retorque to (as I recall) 24 lbs\ft. If it still leaks, they replace the washers and retorque again.

If it looks dry and clean under there, then like said before, check your hoses. The hoses will lead to the filter and manifold under the passenger side, then out to the hydraulic rams at the sway bars.

Jeff

Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Palmetto,
Thanks for the advice. I checked yesterday, fluid was not low. I did remove the filter from the valve block and cleaned it. It didn't seem very dirty or restricted. I also changed the fluid in the reservoir, sucked out the old and filled wilth new. Since then I've drive about 50 miles with no problems.

If it comes back I'll update. Thanks again for everyones help!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So before you go spend a lot of money to trouble shoot this issue, I would suggest you go buy 5 quarts of a good synthetic P/S/ fluid and a bottle of Lucas P/S additive along with some sort of a hand pump and I'll be glad to walk you thru flushing out your system. If you haven't done your P/S fluids, buy an additional 4 quarts and you can do them both at the same time.