Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Discovery II *HELP* MAJOR ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:54 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 Discovery II *HELP* MAJOR ISSUES

We'll I have never owned a Land Rover, and I loved the way it looked, and all the features I got for my money... 2 days after I bought it the thing started to fall apart, and I am really hoping you guys on this site can help me out a little...

1. Passenger side head light was dim, bought new bulbs for both sides (Hella Brand from Auto Zone) put them in and passenger and driver side very dim now, also when it is day light and the driving light features comes on the head lights flicker.

2. Cruise Control does not work.

3. 4 Wheel Drive shifter seems to be stuck in neutral, I have read the manual and done everything it said to do to get it out of neutral i.e. pull parking brake, press foot brake, ect. NOTHING... Shifter does not budge.

4. There is a loud squeeling noise that seems to be comming from the a/c compressor, the noise stops when you accelerate.

5. Service engine soon light came on the day after I bought it.

If anyone on this site can PLEASE help me, the nearest dealer/service center is 200 miles away from me and the honest truth I cannot pay thier prices.

My main concern is this head light problem!!! I have to have head lights, and I am just totally baffled! If anyone can help with any of these issues please email me!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Hey, good morning!
First of all I am not a mechanic, but you have come to the right place. There are many people here that can give you some great advice and tips. How many miles does the vehicle have? Any history?

Did you check your fuses for the cruise control? Also, check the vacuum hoses, they tend to crack at the ends where they connect. I think there was a recent post explaining where you can find all of them. I had the same problem and fixed it by simply shortening one of them half an inch. That's a temporary fix as they obviously need replacement. Also, are you pressing the "freeway" button on your dash (probably on the right hand side of your steering wheel where the rear windshield wiper buttons are) that is where you turn it "on" the you set it with the buttons that are on your steering wheel. It took me a couple of days to figure that out...

If your 4WD shifter (changes between HIgh and Low gear) is stuck in "neutral", your car would not be driving and there would be a light on in the instrument panel (top left) and you should hear an audible sound warning you that the gears are not connected. The fact that you can drive does not make it seem that this is the case. To change gear, simply drive the car 3 mph and change the car from D to N. while rolling you should be able to move the gear selector for Lo to N to Hi or the other way. It should be going pretty smooth at that point.

As far as the service engine soon light, you may want to follow the 60K service that is spoken of a lot. (it is always the top post in the forum). You can have the codes read by any mechanic and come back to the forum with those codes. People here can tell you what they mean and how to solve the problem.

On the head light issue, I think you could be looking at a loose connection somewhere that is causing some type of short.

I am sure you will get some more detailed responses, but maybe this is a start...

Cheers!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bolo4me
We'll I have never owned a Land Rover, and I loved the way it looked, and all the features I got for my money... 2 days after I bought it the thing started to fall apart, and I am really hoping you guys on this site can help me out a little...

1. Passenger side head light was dim, bought new bulbs for both sides (Hella Brand from Auto Zone) put them in and passenger and driver side very dim now, also when it is day light and the driving light features comes on the head lights flicker.

2. Cruise Control does not work.

3. 4 Wheel Drive shifter seems to be stuck in neutral, I have read the manual and done everything it said to do to get it out of neutral i.e. pull parking brake, press foot brake, ect. NOTHING... Shifter does not budge.

4. There is a loud squeeling noise that seems to be comming from the a/c compressor, the noise stops when you accelerate.

5. Service engine soon light came on the day after I bought it.

If anyone on this site can PLEASE help me, the nearest dealer/service center is 200 miles away from me and the honest truth I cannot pay thier prices.

My main concern is this head light problem!!! I have to have head lights, and I am just totally baffled! If anyone can help with any of these issues please email me!
E-mail me your tele number and I will call you today.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Might want to talk to Mike. You have a lot of questions, and he can point you in the right direction....

Old 03-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling

^^ i'll second that motion