Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! Headlights!! BCU?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:52 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! HELP! Headlights!! BCU?

Could someone please HELP ME?!? I've been trying to find out whats going on with my car and I'm loosing my mind! I don't know if its the bcu or fuse box or something simple. I would really really appreciate any advice!!!

The most important thing I need to get fixed asap are my headlights. 3 nights ago my headlights stopped working (high and low) but the high beam light on dashboard is on. The next day my lights worked but the drivers side was super dim and the passenger side was bright. Last night the lights went out and the high beam light was back on the dash. Today I checked all the light fuses and relays and still no lights!

Other problems but not as important
-The wipers stick when on the lowest setting
-Drivers side seat heater is not working
-Keyless entry not working on driver side front and back but works fine on the other 3 doors
-it looks like one of the lights is out on the dash
-sometimes i can hear a pop or crackle sound in the stereo speakers and sometimes the stereo gets all scrambled.

Thank you so much!!!

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! Headlights!! BCU?-photo1.jpg   2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! Headlights!! BCU?-photo-2.jpg   2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! Headlights!! BCU?-photo-3.jpg  

Last edited by corpseinc; 05-01-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:18 AM
5th Gear

I can't help you with your headlight problem, sorry.

The wipers sounds like it might be bad contacts in the wiper switch. Probably have to replace it.

As for the seat heater, sounds like you have a bad seat heater element. That would be my guess. My 2001 Disco driver's seat heater didn't work either.

Keyless entry not working on driver's side could just simply be bad door lock actuators in those doors.

The light in the dash, would need to be replaced with a new bulb. Don't know how difficult that is, never done it on one of those.

As for the stereo, can't help with that.

Good luck with it. Hope you get the headlight issue figured out.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:35 PM
7th Gear

Thanks wjb4000!! Ill check it out!

Old 05-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Headlight problem could be a switch. I've never had that problem with mine so honestly I'm just guessing... sorry
Dash lights are easy... 2 screws at the bottom of the cover (directly above steering column) remove switches, pull cover towards you (2 retaining clips hold it on at the top/rear) remove the cover then 4 screws hold in the instrument panel... remove them, unplug the panel and you'll see the light bulb holders behind it.
If your stereo is an Alpine then it's junk. I've been thru 3 already on mine. I stick with it tho because I like the steering wheel controls and my cd changer I always thought Alpine was good but I guess they go cheap when they make units for LR and Jag

Eric

Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Mudding

I had the exact same problem with my headlights,it is a connection problem behind the actual headlamp.I jiggled the wires and my headlights started working again.That worked for me I hope it works for you.I probably need to replace the wires ,but it works for now.I also replaced the actual headlight switch on the steering column and that did nothing to remedy the problem.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:59 PM
7th Gear

OMG gavone1976 you are amazing!!!! It WORKED!!!! You just saved me $350-$600!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Thank you SDinDS that sounds super easy I'll do that soon!!!

This is my first post and its amazing how nice everybody is!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:47 AM
1st Gear
Default Replace turn signal switch "99" D2

One evening my headlight switch became difficult to turn on and off. The next night i turned my headlights on and the headlight switch raised up and wouldn't turn off. I removed the fuses to turn off the headlights and figured i needed to replace the headlight/ turn signal switch. Now i'm stuck...i have the LRover workshop repair manual on disc and it walks me thru replacing the headlight/ turn signal switch however what it doesn't address is what to do after the 2 screws are removed beneath the steering column. I cant get access to the turn switch to remove it. Does the steering wheel need removing or the plastic housing around the steering column comes open?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gavone1976
I had the exact same problem with my headlights,it is a connection problem behind the actual headlamp.I jiggled the wires and my headlights started working again.That worked for me I hope it works for you.I probably need to replace the wires ,but it works for now.I also replaced the actual headlight switch on the steering column and that did nothing to remedy the problem.
Fixed my problem too... thanks very much !!

As corpseinc – with headlights switched on I saw my headlights stop working (high and low) but high beam light on the dashboard is on irrespective of whether high beam switch on or not. Also, with the lights switched off and when you select Drive to get the daytime running lights to come on, they don’t. I just hear a constantly cycling relay sound. Strange symptoms – anyway I cleaned up the headlight connectors and all works well now.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plastic houseing will come apart. It has three screws not two too open the door on the dash and the 3rd one is in the center towards the bottom. After you remove it the housing will come apart.

Originally Posted by Grover4241
One evening my headlight switch became difficult to turn on and off. The next night i turned my headlights on and the headlight switch raised up and wouldn't turn off. I removed the fuses to turn off the headlights and figured i needed to replace the headlight/ turn signal switch. Now i'm stuck...i have the LRover workshop repair manual on disc and it walks me thru replacing the headlight/ turn signal switch however what it doesn't address is what to do after the 2 screws are removed beneath the steering column. I cant get access to the turn switch to remove it. Does the steering wheel need removing or the plastic housing around the steering column comes open?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the boards, and the hell of owning an english vehical haha. any questions keep em comming, there are alot of small things to address with any rover but its usually rather simple, albiet annoying to chase at times for electrical issues. the boards will save you LOTS of money haha DIY is the only way to go unless you are the type that actually bought a rover brand new from factory!

Quick Reply: 2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! Headlights!! BCU?