Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! Headlights!! BCU?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You!

Same problem for me -- stuck with the highbeam indicator on, no passenger side headlight... and on holiday (of course). I popped open the bonnet, uncovered the lights, and wiggled the wires.

All is well now. (well, lights are still dim, but that's to be expected, after a dozen years -- plus it's an excuse to get some aux lighting!)

Thank you thank you thank you!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Uncle Roger - when you say dim, you don't mean that the low beams are burned out and all you have are those very small "city light" bulbs that also share the headlight enclosure?

Old 02-27-2012, 01:49 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Uncle Roger - when you say dim, you don't mean that the low beams are burned out and all you have are those very small "city light" bulbs that also share the headlight enclosure?
Hmmm... It's quite possible. At this point, the passenger side seems fine (though I don't think it's ever been super-bright) but the left side very well could be burned out and only lighting the "city light". As irresponsible as it sounds, I'm not too worried -- we've not been driving the Disco lately and probably won't for a bit -- and I'll get around to ordering a couple of replacement bulbs in the near future.

Of course, that brings up the question of what bulbs? Is there a difference in bulbs or are there some that would be an upgrade (without requiring any work other than replacing the bulb -- which in itself might be beyond my abilities)?

When I get some money (darn kids!), I plan to get a couple of the 125mm lights from DDM Tuning put on, wired in with the headlights. (These guys: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/LED-Work-Lamp) That's a bit down the road, though.

In the meantime, I'll make sure not to drive at night and get an order in for a couple of new bulbs. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Not sure where you are in the world, but here in the US every auto parts store offers standard head light bulbs and "brighter" ones that are plug compatible with the Rover. Even our WalMarts stock them. If replace bulb is beyond your ability, the Rover might end up costing almost as much as the kids.....

Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with my headlights. After a while, jiggling the bulb connector no longer worked. I found that my wires had basically disintergrated at the connector. After many failed attempts to find a connector that fit my H4 bulb, I found these on amazon. Amazon.com: 3A Racing 46-9993 Heavy Duty Headlight Socket 9003/H4: Automotive

They are an exact fit for the bulb, and a lot less than many autopart stores in my area was charging for a heavy duty kit ($25+). It takes about 2 minutes to splice and connect the new wires. I bought a pair and did both, then put vaseline between the bulb and connector to keep any water/salt out of there. Its been 3 years, 2 of those years just sitting, and the connectors are still perfect.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gavone1976
I had the exact same problem with my headlights,it is a connection problem behind the actual headlamp.I jiggled the wires and my headlights started working again.That worked for me I hope it works for you.I probably need to replace the wires ,but it works for now.I also replaced the actual headlight switch on the steering column and that did nothing to remedy the problem.
Bumping an old thread, but had to thank Gavone1976 for the assist. My headlights would not work after an evening with friends. Several of us enjoyed looking at fuses in the dark for a while before giving up. Got a ride home with a friend and went and drove it home the next day in the daylight. Found Gavone's advice -- i did exactly as advised... some connection checking and jiggling. Voila. THANK YOU!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Not sure where you are in the world, but here in the US every auto parts store offers standard head light bulbs and "brighter" ones that are plug compatible with the Rover. Even our WalMarts stock them. If replace bulb is beyond your ability, the Rover might end up costing almost as much as the kids.....
The corroded connectors can make the lights very dim. Fix the connector before buying bulbs. I put new connectors on and got lovely shiny lights again...

Old 08-07-2018, 08:38 AM
2nd Gear
Default 2002 discovery 2. Changed ecu,bcm, instrument cluster.

Progrsmmed and starts and runs great but the headlights flash when you put it in any gear? Thanks for your help