Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 D2 no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 D2 no start

Ok i hope someone can help my frustration. I have a 2001 D2 SE7 just over 100k thats not starting. All of this started about 3 weeks ago. It stalled just after I started it up, then it took a bit longer to start. This was the first time it has ever stalled. It ran great for about 2 days.
Then one morning I started it and drove it about a block, stopped to get the mail and it stalled right there. It cranked over but would not start. Throughout the day I had tried starting it untill the battery died. I had a buddy come over to jump it, and it started right up (probably coincidence). So I replaced the battery. The next morning it wouldn't start. it was about 11 in the morning and i'd say about 70 degrees (not too cold). I waited a few hours and it started, but it would hesitate a little, so to keep it from stalling I had to keep on the accelerator. after it warmed up, it ran fine for a few days. I learned to let it warm up before taking off. A few days ago it wouldn't start at all, and that's where it sits. After cranking it for a bit I can smell fuel under the hood, so that tells me the fuel pump is working, right? The only codes I ever got was, P0300-multiple misfires and P0303-Misfire on #3. I was reading about several people that had the same situations I had, so I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, still no start!

I have been reading all the forums and trying to figure out what is going on. Without a lot of money its hard to try several different things without getting results. I know your all going to say, "welcome to Land Rover ownership". My wife is saying "get rid of it", but i just cant!

Any help would be great.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by goutah; 11-19-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When was the last time it had a complete tune up?
What grade and brand of gas are you using?
Have you tried cleaning the idle air control?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Overlanding

Ok, you got me, I have never given it a tune-up. I've owned it for about 10 months. And I have put 87 in quite a few times. I haven't really paid attention to the brand of gas though. I also have never cleaned the Idle Air control Valve.
Wow, I'm really batting a thousand aren't I?

Old 10-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I had same thing , but I got SES light and codes for multiple misfires .I just changed fuel to premium and added injector cleaner aditive in each full tank of fuel and my SES light is gone and truck runs better .For winter I always use premium , it is easier to start the truck in the morning here in Quebec.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you need to use premium 91+ octane fuel from now on. you also need to run thru the major maintenance in the how to section. new 8mm wires and plat plugs. i would also throw a can of BG 44k in the tank.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Take a look at my post at the top of this section regarding service. This truck need some serious maintance and we can walk you thru it, or you can go to the dealer and for $1200 to $1400 you can have them do it.
There is also one other possibility, you may have a failing crank sensor so let us know if it continues to act up.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Overlanding

I will start using premium from now on, that's for sure. I thought I had a failed Crank Position sensor so I replaced it, still nothing. Right now I'm just trying to get it to start. If I can get it to start, I'll put a can of BG 44k in. Since this is my primary car, getting it running is the first thing. Once it's running I'll start all my necessary maintenance.

Thanks for all your input. Keep it coming.

Last edited by goutah; 11-19-2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: added bold
Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

As much as I like B&G's 44k, it will not make your truck start.
You need to get in and replace the plugs, wires and air filter and deal with the start issue first, then get it current on all the other services.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
As much as I like B&G's 44k, it will not make your truck start.
You need to get in and replace the plugs, wires and air filter and deal with the start issue first, then get it current on all the other services.
I replaced the plugs, wires, and the air cleaner was recently replaced, and still no start. I gave up and took it to a local shop...
I will keep updating...

the wife: "Sell it, Sell it."
Me: "No, No, No"

Last edited by goutah; 11-19-2010 at 02:22 AM. Reason: added bold
Old 11-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Overlanding
Unhappy

Well, this sucks! The mechanic replaced the ignition coil, and still not starting. He is all out of ideas. He recommends taking it to a dealer, yea right... I am now out of money....

Quick Reply: 2001 D2 no start