Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 D2 no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This string confuses me a bit. The engine needs fuel, air and spark - there is no magic pixie dust. In other words, work backwards. Check the compression (all within 10% of each other). Is there fuel pressure at the rail and in the chamber (yes/no - fix if not)? Is the filter, MAF, TPI, and intake clean (yes/no - fix if not). Then on to the spark - admittedly the toughest part. Check the battery, alternator, coils, wires, plugs, CKP, and CMP (all good yes/no - fix if not). If you get to this point and all is good, but still doesn't start, the problem is more rare (i.e. timing chain, ECM, etc).

You just need to step through the problem logically and systematically and you will find the problem.

My point is that an experienced, professional mechanic should not just throw his hands in the air saying 'I don't know'. It is just an engine, not some unsolved mystery. Just my opinion...

Old 11-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Dmac25
I'm anxiously waiting for an update! My 00' Disco is having the EXACT same problems! No spark. Changed crank sensor (x3, just in case I got a bad one), wiring harness, ECU, just got new coils in the mail (but from your post I bet it won't help).

I'd love to hear what the dealer says and what they have tried. I hope they were able to 'save' yours.

Well I hope I get good news for you. It's not at an actual dealer though. It's at a local club shop called, North Texas Rover. A dealer will just continue to replace parts until it works. They are not much for diagnosing. And I'm sure you know that could get expensive real quick. The place its at now actually doesn't charge for diagnosing. Just whatever it costs to fix it. If you find something, please share as well.

Thanks,
Matthew

Old 11-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Fireman
This string confuses me a bit. The engine needs fuel, air and spark - there is no magic pixie dust. In other words, work backwards. Check the compression (all within 10% of each other). Is there fuel pressure at the rail and in the chamber (yes/no - fix if not)? Is the filter, MAF, TPI, and intake clean (yes/no - fix if not). Then on to the spark - admittedly the toughest part. Check the battery, alternator, coils, wires, plugs, CKP, and CMP (all good yes/no - fix if not). If you get to this point and all is good, but still doesn't start, the problem is more rare (i.e. timing chain, ECM, etc).

You just need to step through the problem logically and systematically and you will find the problem.

My point is that an experienced, professional mechanic should not just throw his hands in the air saying 'I don't know'. It is just an engine, not some unsolved mystery. Just my opinion...

Thanks for the input. It sounds like you know a lot more than I do, I wish I lived near you. I'm sorry that this confused you, I have no way to check for fuel pressure, but the mechanic did, and fuel pressure was good. I did replace the MAF earlier this year to pass inspection. The air filter was recently replaced, and its clean.

If you read my earlier posts, I just replaced the battery, I had the plugs and wires just replaced, and they tried a new coil pack. I also posted a few times that I had replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP).

They had checked the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP). Also they tested the alternator, and they said it was putting out good. The rover shop had replaced the ECM and the fuel delivery computer, still nothing.

Alan, at the rover shop said he has a partner that picked up a new oscilloscope that reads more things that his does and that arrives on Monday, and he is hoping he will be able to read the sine waves better, or something like that.

I hope this clears up any confusion you had, I know it has been very confusing for both mechanics as well.

This will be his last thing to try. He said he will also be giving up if that doesn't work. I will be calling him on Tuesday.

Thanks for all the help,

Matthew

Last edited by goutah; 11-20-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:31 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Spike555
Just a little rant...why is it only mechanics we can do this with and not Dr's?
I mean you get sick and go to the Dr, he "tries" to fix you, you dont get fixed but you still have to pay.
What makes them so special?
Actually, this does apply to surgeons - all care provided to the patient for 90 days after the original surgery is covered in the professional fee for surgery. There are a few additional items to consider:
- Malpractice insurance
- Night and weekend call (24/7/365 service)
- 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, 6 years of residency, and more 1-2 more years of fellowship, all while accumulating massive debt.
- Truck won't start / patient might die

Old 11-21-2010, 06:00 AM
3rd Gear

Wow. Your list looks like ours. I joked with my husband that after this we'll have enough new parts to build another Disco.

My husband used the oscilloscope and it just showed what knew - everything is running and should start! Seeing the waves is pretty neat, I could see the break in the crank sensor signal so we KNOW it works, even though everyone says "it has to be the ckps!". Hope you can get better results. We're now wondering if there's a security issue that stops spark. Only a dealer with a testbook will be able to tell and they are 50+ miles away on a flatbed - we're holding out on that and trying every possible thing first.

How lucky to have a Rover Club near you! A much better choice then the dealer. We'll keep you posted on our end. Good Luck!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Mudding

goutah, I didn't intend it as a condemnation of you, only the mechanics. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

I know you changes the CKS, coils, wires and plugs, but did anyone establish there actually is spark at the cylinder? You may not have juice to the coil pack. Another possibility is that your cam and crank are out of sync (i.e not both at top-dead-center at the same time). Have the mechanic check this and the CMP.

Let me know what you find.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:57 AM
8th Gear

Did you check the fuel pressure? I had similar symptoms, and it was a fuel pump problem.

If you reach behind the plenum, you can find a fitting like a tire inflator - push on that and see if there is pressure (will squirt out gas, so be careful).

Matt

Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by messar
Did you check the fuel pressure? I had similar symptoms, and it was a fuel pump problem.

If you reach behind the plenum, you can find a fitting like a tire inflator - push on that and see if there is pressure (will squirt out gas, so be careful).

Matt
No offense, but your post is probably a little insulting to the folks dealing with this. Yes they've checked the fuel pressure. The vehicle has been to like three different mechanics and indie shops.

Let us know if you find anything on this...I'm very interested to hear what was the problem. I agree with Fireman though, it's an engine, and it's a matter of tracking it down.

Keep us posted please.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Overlanding
Default Quick update....

I just have to say, you guys are great!! Just to be on here giving input and all excited to hear the outcome. Thank you

I just heard back from Alan from North Texas Rover. Before he put the scope on it, he had to put the top of the engine back together, and connect all the wires and plugs. Well after he did that, he went to start it just in case and it sounded a lot different than it did before. As if it wanted to start but was spitting and sputtering. He said it sounded like the spark wire configuration was off. So he checked it and sure enough the wire configuration was wrong. After he changed them correctly, it started!!!!!

I, of course, didn't believe him. So He took the phone out to the shop and started it up, as a joke of course.

I asked him to keep it overnight, then start it in the morning. Just to make sure its not the same intermittent issue that I had before.

He is still not sure what exactly fixed it but it sounds like it was probably a loose connection, after putting things back together.

We'll see tomorrow when he calls me with good news or bad news??????

Everyone better be praying!!

Matthew

Old 11-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Mudding

That is great news!!! It was bound to be something stupid. Glad you seem to have found it.

Quick Reply: 2001 D2 no start