Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Disco that hasn't run for years

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaglerover22
My truck sat for 2 years before I drove it again, and I've already pumped over $4k getting it to pass inspection after sitting for so long. I was very methodical about my maintenance and took excellent care of the truck before it was garaged, and I still had (have) to do an outrageous amount of work to get/keep it running again. Based on your location, which weather-wise is worse than mine, after sitting 4 years, the brakes have rotted and the calipers are likely frozen. The frame probably has rot, O2 sensors are probably rusted into place and may need to be drilled out. Various sensors will have rotted and failed, grease and grease fittings dried up, and I would place a 500:1 futures bet that the A/C does not work. I'd also bank on water being in all the fluids, which will also have to be replaced, and the heater fan and condenser fan have probably seized. After struggling to get my truck going, I would highly advise against buying this one, unless you don't need it immediately and can work on it slowly over the course of several months. Even then, $800 would be the limit. I would look at it as nothing more than a parts car, and only pay parts car prices. This isn't the desert where cars can sit for years. In the coastal Northeast, parked cars last only a year or two before being destroyed by the weather and salt. Case in point- my brother bought a 2-year old Acura TL 4 years ago. He lost his job 3 months later, and the car sat for 4 years until very recently. He took it down to get it inspected, and instead the car got condemned due to corrosion and rot. It had 30k miles on it and was only 6 years old.

Thank you. Yeah, I decided not to buy it.