Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 DiscoII 4wd no shifty

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:52 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 DiscoII 4wd no shifty

Hey everyone,

I am working on my friends 2001 Disco II and he has the same problem (sort of) as I had with my Disco I when I first bought it.

The 4wd range shifter won't shift out of hi. It moves a bit bit it is stuck. The linkage and cable are moving but the lever at the transfer case seems to be stuck.

Anyone know what to do besides force the lever to move with something like a hammer and a long rod?

Thanks,

Aaron

Old 10-28-2009, 01:54 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aaron1976
hey everyone,

i am working on my friends 2001 disco ii and he has the same problem (sort of) as i had with my disco i when i first bought it.

The 4wd range shifter won't shift out of hi. It moves a bit bit it is stuck. The linkage and cable are moving but the lever at the transfer case seems to be stuck.

Anyone know what to do besides force the lever to move with something like a hammer and a long rod?

Thanks,

aaron:d
wd-40

Old 10-28-2009, 03:20 PM
4wd Low
Default tranfer case help SOS

So I took the center console out and I can see down through the plate that is riveted on and I can see the lower linage arm going into the transfer case move just a little bit with the cable and shifter.

Is there a switch that would mechanicely lock the linkage from moving like the gear selector for the transmission?

There must be something internally wrong or frozen up to cause this.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is a ball joint inside there that is lubed with greased at the factory, it can get full of condensation and rust up.

I think that there is also a solenoid in there too and can go bad.
I know there is one on a DI but not sure about a DII.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:33 AM
4wd Low

I found a diagram that I was going to post for you all that view this thread for future reference but I can't find the diagram now so I will try to explain this.

There is a shift lockout solenoid on the transfer case. It is a safety device to ensure you don't shift it at the wrong time. Most of us know what to do so those of us that do know how to shift into low range and at what time and in what gear (n) can remove the solenoid plunger.

The solenoid is located on the rear portion of the transfer case and on top of the transfer case. It is to the rear of the shift linkage for the high and low range. It is a round housing with one bolt on either side, two bolts total. You will also see two wires going in to it or just off to the side of it. remove the two bolts and pull the solenoid out. Then grind off the plunger or hack saw it off. Install the solenoid and your done with that part.

You have to do this from inside the Rover and having the center console removed along with the plate that the shifters are attached to. The plate is held on by 13 rivets, you have to drill those and replace them when you re-assemble the console.

Also the E brake handle needs to be mostly straight up to get the console out so you most likely will need to unhook the cable from the handle.

Hope this will help anyone who has been stuck in either high or low range and can't shift your Discovery.

As I understand it, Rover started with the lockout solenoid in the states in 93 so all Discos should have them.

Please be sure your shift linkage and or shift handle is not froze up before you go to the solenoid. My D1 was frozen up at the shift handle housing and I was able to free it up with some penetrating oil and a little impact force from a rubber mallet. Be careful not to break anything when you do this.

Last edited by Aaron1976; 10-29-2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The solenoid in the t/case is shot and won't release the t/case to shift to low when the tranny is out of gear.
You either remove or replace the solenoid and the problem is fixed.
Here is a picture of the case, remove the 4 bolt from the top cover, slip the solenoid out and either replace it or go without it, and reinstall the cover.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 DiscoII 4wd no shifty-t-case.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Three Wheeling

This thread really help me with this stuck high/low range selector. Thought it could use another picture. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dean; 05-21-2013 at 09:11 AM.