Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Discovery II LE - creeping temp guage

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012 | 07:20 AM
|
7th Gear
Default 2001 Discovery II LE - creeping temp guage

I have read through several of the other posts related to hot engines in this model, but my situation has a twist.

The 4.0 liter engine has had the heads & radiator replaced. It has been running fine for several months now. But the temp guage will, on occasion, indicate a hot engine when I have been driving at slower speeds. Had the radiator flushed. No change. It is fine on the highways, but when I turn off to the residential streets and parking lot, it is here that the guage jumps up.

Looking forward to all responses.

Old 06-28-2012 | 07:25 AM
Baja

you want to have your two fans check, the first being the clutch fan on the front of the motor and the second being the condenser fan in front of the radiator.

Old 06-28-2012 | 07:26 AM
Administrator

First, stop driving it, the more times you allow it to over heat the shorter the engine life.
First, how many miles on it, second have you checked to make sure both of your fans are working, do you know how to check them and have you been having to add any coolant lately??????
Also you can not flush and clean out our radiators, once they clear 100,000 miles and if you have been running any tap water in it, it is plugged beyond help.

Old 06-28-2012 | 08:14 AM
|
7th Gear

The vehicle has ~86,000 miles on it. I can't tell what the service shop puts on as far as tap water or not, but their radiator flush didn't help.

I've opened the hood and see the radiator fan spinning, but apparently that doesn't mean it is functioning 100%. I'll have those checked and replaced, if needed. The most difficult part of living in south Florida is getting a fair shake on vehicle repairs.

Old 06-28-2012 | 08:30 AM
Administrator

If you want some help with this, send me your number and I'll walk you thru what to check and do.

Old 06-28-2012 | 09:06 AM
TReK

Hi,
Make sure your radiator is not clogged on the outside - restricting air flow.

BUT
I am betting 100% it is your fan clutch..

Why?

I ran my Discovery II at idle with NO FAN on it when I first fixed the head gaskets.

Guess what?

It did not over heat - but, the AUX fan came on to save the day.

When your temp creeps up, your AUX fan has to come on.
If this is not true, then you need to get that fixed.

Spin the fan blade. Spins easy, good.
Check fuse.
Check relay.

Turn on the A/C and that fan should fire up right away.

----
When the rover is cold, try to spin the big main fan.
Should be stiff and not spin.

Spins really easy?
Fan clutch shot.

----
When the rover is hot and you are going slow, if you take the engine to 2000 RPM, you should hear a loud ROAR from that fan.
No ROAR, no cooling.
Please replace the fan clutch.

Please reverse hose the radiators on the outside back to front.

Old 06-28-2012 | 12:03 PM
Three Wheeling

After you have run it around town for at least 10 mins, place your hand on the lower passenger side of the radiator. If it's cool, then you most likely have a clogged radiator.

Old 06-28-2012 | 04:44 PM
|
7th Gear
Default Free-spinning fan

Sure enough, I lifted the hood and was able to spin the fan between the radiator and the engine block with one finger. So fan clutch it is. And the coolant flush was a waste of money. I will update the thread once the mechanic gives it a once over to confirm.

I had the fan clutch replaced on my wifes 528i and about two weeks later the water pump blew. Bad coincidence or do these items go hand-in-hand. My water pump is only about 6 months old.

Old 06-28-2012 | 07:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by NC1165
Sure enough, I lifted the hood and was able to spin the fan between the radiator and the engine block with one finger. So fan clutch it is. And the coolant flush was a waste of money. I will update the thread once the mechanic gives it a once over to confirm.

I had the fan clutch replaced on my wifes 528i and about two weeks later the water pump blew. Bad coincidence or do these items go hand-in-hand. My water pump is only about 6 months old.
With respect to your question on the water pump, I would suggest doing both at the same time. Our fan went and not two weeks later the stress of the new fan had the water pump leaking at the weep hole. Many forum members will concur these two critical parts go hand in hand over the cliff.

2003 Discovery 128K with high miles service complete.

Old 06-29-2012 | 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Spin with one finger, and when released, should stop in under one revolution, feel like peanut butter in there. Freewheels and the viscous clutch has lost fluid, time to replace.

All good advice, you need both fans to work properly, or overheating will happen in slow traffic. When I noticed my WP leaking, I took off the fan and drove home, as long as you don't stop for more that a brief light, no problems. The electric fans tend to sieze, blow the fuse, and be forgotten. And the radiators get sludge/calcium in them from Dexcool and/or tap water, slowly fills them up, and pretty soon you have a radiator that only holds half as much water. Or all of the above.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Discovery II LE - creeping temp guage-dex-cool-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2001 Discovery II LE - creeping temp guage