Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Discovery II LE - creeping temp guage

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012 | 06:38 AM
Baja

if your water pump is 6-months old there is no need to change it, just replace the clutch fan

Old 06-29-2012 | 08:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NC1165
Sure enough, I lifted the hood and was able to spin the fan between the radiator and the engine block with one finger. So fan clutch it is. And the coolant flush was a waste of money. I will update the thread once the mechanic gives it a once over to confirm.

I had the fan clutch replaced on my wifes 528i and about two weeks later the water pump blew. Bad coincidence or do these items go hand-in-hand. My water pump is only about 6 months old.
The actual test should include spinning the fan when cold to see how much resistance there is, then doing it again when the engine is hot and not running. When hot, the spinning resistance should be nearly double that of the cold spin.
Also, did you verify that the electric fan is working?

Old 06-29-2012 | 01:51 PM
|
7th Gear
Default A second look...

I took a second look at the fans. I can turn the viscous fan with one finger, but it does not spin more than a quarter turn before stopping when the engine is cold. The auxiliary fan in the fron kicks on and off with the A/C accordingly. So it may not be the fans after all. I will have to check the bottom of the radiator to see if it remains cold after the engine has been running long enough to warm up.

On a side note, my mechanic said he tests the fan clutch by seeing if he can stop the viscous fan from spinning while the engine is running. Can anyone validate this?

Old 06-29-2012 | 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Your mechanic is a reckless guy, and will soon be known as "Stubby". A viscous fan fully coupled is 60 - 90% power transfer, and if some people claim that a fan is a 5 - 8 horsepower drag, well that could be a lot more power than a food processor. At normal "warmed up" operating temp, the viscous fan drops to 20% coupling. Let us say that it is 4 HP drag to start with. So would you try to stop something being turned at about 700 rpm by a 3/4 horsepower motor? How about a smaller motor? Just reach overhead at home and bring that ceiling fan to a screeching halt with your pinkky....

All kidding aside, don't try that a home, even with a welding mitt on. True you might stop it if it was bad. What if it a'int? Use a rolled up magazine if you must, but anything snatched out of your hands can damage fan blades or radiator.

Old 06-29-2012 | 06:13 PM
|
7th Gear
Default Latest update...

After letting it run awhile, I checked the hoses and all of them were hot except for the bottom (driver side) hose. The fans are turning appropriately. Possible clogged radiator?

Old 06-30-2012 | 12:41 AM
Winching

What about fans blowing air towards engine? Hold plastic bag in front of rover with engine on. Bag should get sucked in to fan grill.

Old 06-30-2012 | 11:52 AM
|
7th Gear

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
What about fans blowing air towards engine? Hold plastic bag in front of rover with engine on. Bag should get sucked in to fan grill.
Definitely pulling air into the grill. Trying to decide if an easy change out of the thermostat would be worth the money. Miamibritish has the one I need listed at $32.00.

Old 06-30-2012 | 12:32 PM
Administrator

Would you pay attention and quit guessing, I suggested your clutch, told you how to check it and you haven't done it as you were told. Do it and reply back. As for what your mechanic says, he is as already mentioned, a fool.

Old 06-30-2012 | 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Insurance rates being what they are, and always subject to increase due to claims; many shops have zero tolerance for horseplay that easily results in workman's comp injuries. Many shop managers have little patience for that sort of technique.

Old 07-01-2012 | 12:04 AM
Three Wheeling

See if there is a cold spot dead center of your radiator when it hot and engine off. Fan clutch will have a hard time locking up with no heat transfer. Best thing to due is replace your radiator, fan clutch, and use soft spring 82 cell thermostat, with age and miles on vehicle. Block test could give you peace of mind also, before you spend all that money on new parts.

Quick Reply: 2001 Discovery II LE - creeping temp guage