Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 LR Disco II Endless Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:02 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 LR Disco II Endless Nightmare

Hey guys, had an interesting past three days with my 2001 Discovery II, first off the front drive shaft fell off while traveling 20 or so MPH, felt it happening and slowed down not too much damage. Had the drive shaft rebuilt (all three U joints, ball joint, and dyno'd). Thought that would be the end of it, but now, when I make the slightest right turn with the steering wheel there is a loud thumping noise that can be felt through the car but not through the steering wheel, its not the drive shaft anymore because when going straight or turning left there is no noise. Also if I go in reverse and crank the steering wheel right, I get the thumping noise again. The speed of the thump gets faster with the trucks speed. So I try jacking up the truck and letting the tires spin in drive, cranking the steering wheel both ways, no thump... So strange I really feel like I'm losing my mind. Seems like it might be suspension dependant due to the fact that the thump goes away when jacked up... Anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe the rear drive shaft? The flange? When was the last time you got your tires balanced?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Maybe the rear drive shaft? The flange? When was the last time you got your tires balanced?
Took it to my drive train guy and he said the drive train was fine, tire balance is a possibility but I think unlikely, and what do you mean by flange? Sorry for the newb response just trying to get a working car again, and thx for the quick reply.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am betting that during the propshaft falling off the CDL was partially engaged.
Remove the front propshaft and try and drive it.