General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats your worst nightmare with a used car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 06:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats your worst nightmare with a used car?

Any horror stories out there about buying any used car? Mines started 6 months ago when I saw a 928 Porsche for sale. I did some research and went prepared to check out the car. I drove the car for over an hour. I did this in order to find out if it had an overheating problem. This is common in 928s. Nothing popped up. It ran great. No overheating. Everything seemed to work just fine. Well, by the time I drove it home guess what? It overheated (seller house was 50 miles away). While I was checking it out, I also turned it off and on repeatedly to see if it had a problem with the flywheel. Nope it worked fine. Two days later the flywheel started to show its true condition. I had realized at that moment that I had picked up some one elses headache. These cars were designed to self destruct when the water pump failed. The defective water pump would cause the car to overheat. Which was bad due to the fact that the water pump was mounted behind the rubber timing belt. When the pump went south so would the rubber timing belt which in turn would ruin your engine permanently. I had experience a total loss in less than a month. I couldn't give the car away.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Whats your worst nightmare with a used car?

still giving it away? I'll take it.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Rock Crawling

just send it my way. had a 944. it was the best sports car I have driven. sorry about what happened. duboff

Old 12-11-2006, 06:26 AM
8th Gear

hey man i feel you. i had almost the same thing happen to me a while back with an eclipse i purchased. drove it for about 3 weeks b4 it puked. ****ty luck. well sorry to hear that man. take care

Old 12-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Overlanding

bad experience, sorry to hear it.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Three Wheeling

My current situation is that I purchased a Black 2003 Range Rover on Ebay. The R/R was in Florida and so am I. After I had picked it up and had time to really go over it I find out that the pictures in the ad are of another R/R other than the one of the VIN number. We are in mediation currently. If that doesn't work then the Secretary of State gets involved. wyndermere wholesalers in Winter Garden sold it to me. I am a big boy and have bought and sold vehicles so I got stung on this one. Love the R/R -- just hate getting stuffed.