Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 147k should I replace head gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 03:30 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 147k should I replace head gaskets?

Just purchased a well-maintained 2002 Land Rover. My only concern with it is that the previous owner had it from 90,000 miles and never had to replace the head gaskets. So unless they went previous to 90k my understanding is the clock's ticking. Planning to take a month road trip through Mexico in a couple months. Bought from a mechanic who offered me a deal if I want to go ahead and get the head gaskets done now. Would that be foolish to spend money on something that's not broken yet or is it a good idea to do when I know I won't be charged a ton?

Old 10-09-2018, 03:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

Until I read the part about the month-long road trip through Mexico I was going to say if they aren't leaking why replace them?

Others here may differ or have different experiences, but although headgaskets get talked about a lot on the forums, I'm skeptical that the HGs simply give out without the engine being overheated. You don't say how long you've had the truck, but are you seeing any loss of coolant in the reservoir? And how much is the mechanic quoting you?

Old 10-09-2018, 06:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Do it. I bought a 129k mile disco, never overheated it as it was my 5th when I got it and I knew the issues. One day the HG blew between cylinders 5 and 7 - no water jacket involved. lost compression on both cylinders, it just started missing. Replace now and you can be assured of 200k miles at least as long as it is not overheated.

I would also recommend replacing water pump, coolant reservoir and cap, all hoses, bypass throttle body heater, and replace the hard plastic cooler lines with ATF hose. Make sure to carry a gallon of water in the back.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:03 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

From my own experience I would do it. My truck wasn’t exactly maintained to a T before I acquired it but it was in decent shape mechanically. One day the head gasket simply blew out the side letting exhaust gasses out and sounding like an old lawn mower. For peace of mind on a trip like that I’d go for it.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by RossN99
From my own experience I would do it. My truck wasn’t exactly maintained to a T before I acquired it but it was in decent shape mechanically. One day the head gasket simply blew out the side letting exhaust gasses out and sounding like an old lawn mower. For peace of mind on a trip like that I’d go for it.
I also had I also had one that did this and went to look at another one with the same problem

Old 10-10-2018, 06:11 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

do it if hes giving you a good deal and knows what hes doing, sometimes your truck goes in for maintenance repair and it comes out worse than it when in, not sure how good this mechanic is but if he does a sloppy job you could have more issues

Old 10-10-2018, 06:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Have them done. They are a known issue, regardless of whether or not they have been over heated. Driving around Mexico is no place to have issues of this magnitude.

If I was taking such a trip, in a vehicle of this age...besides doing the head gaskets (and also having a tune up done in the process, while everything is easy to get at)...l'd change thermostat, every cooling hose under the hood, water pump, idler/tensioner pulleys and belt, wheel bearing hubs (all four), check quality of drive shaft components (frt and rear), change all fluids (engine oil/filter, trans fluid/filter, powersteering fluid, brake fluid, axles and transfer case). And make sure all of the other things are up for the challenge, tires, brakes, wiper blades, battery, etc.

Try to have all of this work done months before you leave and drive it daily and a few long trips...to make sure everything was done correctly and work the bugs out. And, if you aren't mechanically inclined...try to become so. Meaning do as much work as you can and learn how to turn a wrench and understand the machine you're driving. Join a LR group in your area, maybe they can give you insight on issues and repairing a rover.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 10-10-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:55 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

What are the chances wether it was replaced recently or not? I guess its the same. Unless you know the trucks history then you can at least have a better way to decide. For me, if there are no signs that it needed a replacement then Ill pass. Replacing them has the same chances it will fail if work not done properly. Imo

Old 10-10-2018, 07:51 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Have them done. They are a known issue, regardless of whether or not they have been over heated. Driving around Mexico is no place to have issues of this magnitude.

If I was taking such a trip, in a vehicle of this age...besides doing the head gaskets (and also having a tune up done in the process, while everything is easy to get at)...l'd change thermostat, every cooling hose under the hood, water pump, idler/tensioner pulleys and belt, wheel bearing hubs (all four), check quality of drive shaft components (frt and rear), change all fluids (engine oil/filter, trans fluid/filter, powersteering fluid, brake fluid, axles and transfer case). And make sure all of the other things are up for the challenge, tires, brakes, wiper blades, battery, etc.

Try to have all of this work done months before you leave and drive it daily and a few long trips...to make sure everything was done correctly and work the bugs out. And, if you aren't mechanically inclined...try to become so. Meaning do as much work as you can and learn how to turn a wrench and understand the machine you're driving. Join a LR group in your area, maybe they can give you insight on issues and repairing a rover.

Brian.

at this point just rent a car lol

Old 10-10-2018, 09:49 AM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

I just picked up a cheap '03 D2. It had the head gaskets done by a reputable mechanic 1500 miles ago, but the gasket on one side blew again so the owners decided to cut their losses.
The oil pump was trashed inside, and one of the thin plastic axle breather pipes had been trapped between the head and the block so the head was unable to be torqued properly. I have no idea how anybody could miss that, but this guy did.

I say this only because sometimes a "fix" will expose you to risk.

Quick Reply: 2002 147k should I replace head gaskets?