Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 147k should I replace head gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Have them done. They are a known issue, regardless of whether or not they have been over heated. Driving around Mexico is no place to have issues of this magnitude.

If I was taking such a trip, in a vehicle of this age...besides doing the head gaskets (and also having a tune up done in the process, while everything is easy to get at)...l'd change thermostat, every cooling hose under the hood, water pump, idler/tensioner pulleys and belt, wheel bearing hubs (all four), check quality of drive shaft components (frt and rear), change all fluids (engine oil/filter, trans fluid/filter, powersteering fluid, brake fluid, axles and transfer case). And make sure all of the other things are up for the challenge, tires, brakes, wiper blades, battery, etc.

Try to have all of this work done months before you leave and drive it daily and a few long trips...to make sure everything was done correctly and work the bugs out. And, if you aren't mechanically inclined...try to become so. Meaning do as much work as you can and learn how to turn a wrench and understand the machine you're driving. Join a LR group in your area, maybe they can give you insight on issues and repairing a rover.

Brian.
This is a good recommendation for any new-to-you-Disco unless you have the proof of recent work.