Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Disco II - Throttling By Itself When Idle; Stalls in First Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Disco II - Throttling By Itself When Idle; Stalls in First Gear

This started happening recently. If I'm driving long distances without stopping or slowing down, its fine. If I'm doing inner-city driving or at a complete stop, my engine will throttle by itself and jerk my truck forwards. Shortly after it does that, the M and L lights on the dash start flashing and the D on the Odometer (showing that the car is in drive) starts blinking. Then the car feels like its in neutral (gas pedal just revs motor, car doesnt move). I then have to turn the car off and restart it and itll be okay for a little and then it will do it at my next stop. A few months ago I had to bring it to emissions testing and the CEL is spitting an Idle Timing Malfunction. Do you think it could be related to the IAC valve? I'm thinking Throttle Pos Sensor. Also, battery and alternator were both replaced in January, got them both tested at an auto parts store and they tested perfect. All help would be appreciated, seeing as this is my only car I can get for a while and I need a way to get to and from work really bad. I don't live on any bus routes. Thank you.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:58 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to be that guy, but I need to bump this. I need all help as soon as possible.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

When I first bought my D2, before I get a chance to go trough all fluid's , & ambiant temp was high, a few times when I came to complete stop & wanted to start moving again, it felt like it was went to neutral , I would push the gas & no movement until it would engage again.
So I checked Trans-fluid & it seemed low, I changed Trans-fluid & filled it till started dripping while engine running in neutral & that never happened again.
In my case it was low Trans-fluid, I don't know if you have same problem , but won't hurt to check.