Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Disco II rebuilt engine cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 754 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Looks like a drive by one and done OP...

To me it is worth spending the money because you can't buy anything new for near the money it takes to keep one of these running.

Once you spend the money and have a maintenance schedule in place you have a known quantity. Where you get in trouble with these is when you do pay $3 to 7k for someone elses deferred maintenance project.
Agreed, I'll take the known commodity with a solid front axle and trail friendly exterior size vs any new vehicle offerings that cost way over $30K new if not more. Here in CO it's well worth it to be able to get that extra mile up a forest road to find some peace and quiet and avoid the masses in their new Toyotas, stock wranglers and subarus....

The following 2 users liked this post by whowa004:
Dave03S (06-04-2019), jastutte (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
At what point in an 'Old Vehicle Process' - does one start to put money into a vehicle that is only worth 3 grand? What if you're planning on keeping it for the long haul? At what point does an undesirable piece of metal become a barn find that someone is excited to find? I have mixed feelings over this.

Presently my vehicle needs the motor overhauled. It could use a good tune-up, the cooling system upgraded, probably a new power steering pump and maybe new O2 sensors. The valve cover gaskets are leaking and I need the transfer case resealed and topped up as well as a ball joint replaced. One of my calipers is sticking as well.

Last summer/fall it took over five months for 2 shops to not diagnose and misdiagnose an issue with the front cover and oil pump. Thank god for this forum for helping me figure out what the issue really was, asking the shop to take a look at the front cover and then replacing it.

I love my Rover and would like to keep driving it but have been having real struggles this past year determining when and if I should cut my losses and move on. A supposed safety check was done last fall and I was told that my Rover is structurally sound but does have the issue with the transfer case leaking and a bad ball joint on the driver side. I was given an estimate of $700 for the leaking transfer case and figured I'd get the ball joint looked at when I took it in for the brakes.

Right now I'm looking at trying to find someone who is interested in working on my motor and doing it right. I'd like to work with someone who has experience and knows what they are doing. I figured that $3000 would be an acceptable amount for the motor/cooling (me sourcing parts separately) and obviously the transfer case and ball joint, etc. would be done afterward. I have had quotes for rocker panel work as well and that was on my list of body work to have done this year at a body shop in town.

Perhaps I should cut my losses and just scrap it like some are doing. It's depressing to see people throwing vehicles away although I understand why they are doing so.
If I wasn’t doing my own work I wouldn’t keep it. It would kill me, but I do love the truck and it’s my creative outlet.

Test drive some others and see what you think. Maybe a used LR3 or RR would cost the same as a new motor.

But if you throw in a new engine tophatted with upgraded cam you may be happier, who knows.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

A new block and labour here in Canada for a Atlantic British engine is 11 k Canadian

im going to think it’s probably cheaper in the states

but since you let your rig overheat and probably don’t have a good monitoring device to prevent this from happening sounds like you will kill any engine you put in there

I suggest doing your homework here unless you got money to burn